Towards a complete FEM-based simulation toolkit on GPUs: unstructured grid finite element geometric multigrid solvers with strong smoothers based on sparse approximate inverses. We describe our FE-gMG solver, a finite element geometric multigrid approach for problems relying on unstructured grids. We augment our GPU- and multicore-oriented implementation technique based on cascades of sparse matrix-vector multiplication by applying strong smoothers. In particular, we employ Sparse Approximate Inverse (SPAI) and Stabilised Approximate Inverse (SAINV) techniques. We focus on presenting the numerical efficiency of our smoothers in combination with low- and high-order finite element spaces as well as the hardware efficiency of the FE-gMG. For a representative problem and computational grids in 2D and 3D, we achieve a speedup of an average of 5 on a single GPU over a multithreaded CPU code in our benchmarks. In addition, our strong smoothers can deliver a speedup of 3.5 depending on the element space, compared to simple Jacobi smoothing. This can even be enhanced to a factor of 7 when combining the usage of approximate inverse-based smoothers with clever sorting of the degrees of freedom. In total the FE-gMG solver can outperform a simple (multicore-) CPU-based multigrid by a total factor of over 40.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Xu, Weiwei; Yang, Haifeng; Yang, Yin; Wang, Yiduo; Zhou, Kun: Stress-aware large-scale mesh editing using a domain-decomposed multigrid solver (2018)
- Banaś, Krzysztof; Krużel, Filip; Bielański, Jan: Finite element numerical integration for first order approximations on multi- and many-core architectures (2016)
- Bertaccini, Daniele; Filippone, Salvatore: Sparse approximate inverse preconditioners on high performance GPU platforms (2016)
- Remacle, J.-F.; Gandham, R.; Warburton, T.: GPU accelerated spectral finite elements on all-hex meshes (2016)
- Alhadeff, A.; Celes, W.; Paulino, G. H.: Mapping cohesive fracture and fragmentation simulations to graphics processor units (2015)
- Fu, Zhisong; Lewis, T. James; Kirby, Robert M.; Whitaker, Ross T.: Architecting the finite element method pipeline for the GPU (2014)
- Huthwaite, Peter: Accelerated finite element elastodynamic simulations using the GPU (2014)
- Geveler, M.; Ribbrock, D.; Göddeke, D.; Zajac, P.; Turek, S.: Towards a complete FEM-based simulation toolkit on GPUs: unstructured grid finite element geometric multigrid solvers with strong smoothers based on sparse approximate inverses (2013)