3D spherical kernel
Design of the CGAL 3D spherical kernel and application to arrangements of circles on a sphere. We present a CGAL kernel for algorithms manipulating 3D spheres, circles, and circular arcs. The paper makes three contributions. First, the mathematics underlying two non-trivial predicates are presented. Second, the design of the kernel concept is developed, and the connexion between the mathematics and this design is established. In particular, we show how two different frameworks can be combined: one for the general setting, and one dedicated to the case where all the objects handled lie on a reference sphere. Finally, an assessment about the efficacy of the 3D Spherical Kernel is made through the calculation of the exact arrangement of circles on a sphere. On average while computing arrangements with few degeneracies (on sample molecular models), it is shown that certifying the result incurs a modest factor of two with respect to calculations using a plain double arithmetic.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 5 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5.
- Fogel, Efi; Halperin, Dan; Wein, Ron: CGAL Arrangements and their applications. A step-by-step guide (2012)
- Berberich, Eric; Fogel, Efi; Halperin, Dan; Kerber, Michael; Setter, Ophir: Arrangements on parametric surfaces. II: Concretizations and applications (2010)
- Berberich, Eric; Fogel, Efi; Halperin, Dan; Mehlhorn, Kurt; Wein, Ron: Arrangements on parametric surfaces. I: General framework and infrastructure (2010)
- Cazals, Frédéric; Loriot, Sébastien: Computing the arrangement of circles on a sphere, with applications in structural biology (2009)
- de Castro, Pedro M.M.; Cazals, Frédéric; Loriot, Sébastien; Teillaud, Monique: Design of the CGAL 3D spherical kernel and application to arrangements of circles on a sphere (2009)