As I begin my 12th year of work on TWODEPEP (now PDE/PROTRAN ), I am intrigued by the analogy between the 11 year evolution of this computer code and the multi-billion year history of the genetic code of life, which contains a blueprint for a species encoded into billions of bits of information. Like the code of life, TWODEPEP began with primitive features, being capable of solving only a single linear elliptic equation in polygonal regions, with simple boundary conditions. It passed through many useful stages as it adapted to non-linear and time dependent problems, systems of PDEs, eigenvalue problems, and as it evolved cubic and quartic elements and isoparametric elements for curved boundaries. It grew a preprocessor and a graphical output package, and out-of-core frontal and conjugate gradient methods were added to solve the linear systems.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Sewell, Granville: Solving PDEs in non-rectangular 3D regions using a collocation finite element method (2010)
- Hirota, Chiaki; Ozawa, Kazufumi: Numerical method of estimating the blow-up time and rate of the solution of ordinary differential equations -- an application to the blow-up problems of partial differential equations (2006)
- Hake, J.-Fr.: The numerical solution of PDE problems with standard software packages (1987)
- Shoucri, M.; Fuchs, V.; Bers, A.: The application of the finite element library TWODEPEP for the numerical solution of the relativistic Fokker-Planck equation (1987)
- Lowther, D. A.; Silvester, P. P.: Computer-aided design in magnetics (1986)
- Al-Kharafi, A. A.; Evans, D. J.: The finite element solution of a quasi-linear elliptic equation governing non-Newtonian flows through rectangular ducts (1985)
- Miketinac, M. J.; Sokhansanj, Shahab: Velocity-pressure distribution in grain bins - Brooker’s model (1985)
- Sewell, Granville: Analysis of a finite element method. PDE/PROTRAN (1985)
- Pereyra, V.: Deferred corrections software and its application to seismic ray tracing (1984)
- Sewell, Granville: TWODEPEP, a small general purpose finite element program (1982)