State space reduction in the Maude-NRL protocol analyzer. The Maude-NRL Protocol Analyzer (Maude-NPA) is a tool and inference system for reasoning about the security of cryptographic protocols in which the cryptosystems satisfy different equational properties. It both extends and provides a formal framework for the original NRL Protocol Analyzer, which supported equational reasoning in a more limited way. Maude-NPA supports a wide variety of algebraic properties that includes many crypto-systems of interest such as, for example, one-time pads and Diffie-Hellman. Maude-NPA, like the original NPA, looks for attacks by searching backwards from an insecure attack state, and assumes an unbounded number of sessions. Because of the unbounded number of sessions and the support for different equational theories, it is necessary to develop ways of reducing the search space and avoiding infinite search paths. In order for the techniques to prove useful, they need not only to speed up the search, but should not violate completeness, so that failure to find attacks still guarantees security. In this paper we describe some state space reduction techniques that we have implemented in Maude-NPA. We also provide completeness proofs, and experimental evaluations of their effect on the performance of Maude-NPA.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 12 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12.
- Baelde, David; Delaune, Stéphanie; Hirschi, Lucca: A reduced semantics for deciding trace equivalence (2017)
- Chadha, Rohit; Cheval, Vincent; Ciob^acă, Ştefan; Kremer, Steve: Automated verification of equivalence properties of cryptographic protocols (2016)
- Klein, Dominik: Key-secrecy of PACE with OTS/CafeOBJ (2015) ioport
- Escobar, Santiago; Meadows, Catherine; Meseguer, José; Santiago, Sonia: State space reduction in the Maude-NRL protocol analyzer (2014)
- Liu, Zhiqiang; Lynch, Christopher: Efficient general AGH-unification (2014)
- Hendrix, Joe; Meseguer, José: Order-sorted equational unification revisited (2012)
- Meseguer, José: Twenty years of rewriting logic (2012)
- Escobar, Santiago; Meadows, Catherine; Meseguer, José: State space reduction in the maude-NRL protocol analyzer (2011) ioport
- Escobar, Santiago; Meadows, Catherine; Meseguer, José: Maude-NPA: cryptographic protocol analysis modulo equational properties (2009)
- Escobar, Santiago; Meseguer, José; Sasse, Ralf: Variant narrowing and equational unification (2009)
- Santiago, S.; Talcott, C.; Escobar, S.; Meadows, C.; Meseguer, J.: A graphical user interface for maude-NPA (2009) ioport
- Escobar, Santiago; Meadows, Catherine; Meseguer, José: State space reduction in the Maude-NRL protocol analyzer (2008) ioport