Locales: a module system for mathematical theories. Locales are a module system for managing theory hierarchies in a theorem prover through theory interpretation. They are available for the theorem prover Isabelle. In this paper, their semantics is defined in terms of local theories and morphisms. Locales aim at providing flexible means of extension and reuse. Theory modules (which are called locales) may be extended by definitions and theorems. Interpretation to Isabelle’s global theories and proof contexts is possible via morphisms. Even the locale hierarchy may be changed if declared relations between locales do not adequately reflect logical relations, which are implied by the locales’ specifications. By discussing their design and relating it to more commonly known structuring mechanisms of programming languages and provers, locales are made accessible to a wider audience beyond the users of Isabelle. The discussed mechanisms include ML-style functors, type classes and mixins (the latter are found in modern object-oriented languages).
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Eberl, Manuel: Proving divide and conquer complexities in Isabelle/HOL (2017)
- Aissat, Romain; Voisin, Frédéric; Wolff, Burkhart: Infeasible paths elimination by symbolic execution techniques. Proof of correctness and preservation of paths (2016)
- Åman Pohjola, Johannes; Parrow, Joachim: The expressive power of monotonic parallel composition (2016)
- Blanchette, Jasmin Christian; Fleury, Mathias; Weidenbach, Christoph: A verified SAT solver framework with learn, forget, restart, and incrementality (2016)
- Lochbihler, Andreas: Probabilistic functions and cryptographic oracles in higher order logic (2016)
- Matichuk, Daniel; Murray, Toby; Wenzel, Makarius: Eisbach: a proof method language for Isabelle (2016)
- Noschinski, Lars: A graph library for Isabelle (2015)
- Paulson, Lawrence C.: A formalisation of finite automata using hereditarily finite sets (2015)
- Ballarin, Clemens: Locales: a module system for mathematical theories (2014)
- Sternagel, Christian; Thiemann, René: Formalizing monotone algebras for certification of termination and complexity proofs (2014)