GRIP: Graph drawing with intelligent placement. This paper describes a system for Graph dRawing with Intelligent Placement, GRIP. The system is designed for drawing large graphs and uses a novel multi-dimensional force-directed method together with fast energy function minimization. The algorithm underlying the system employs a simple recursive coarsening scheme. Rather than being placed at random, vertices are placed intelligently, several at a time, at locations close to their final positions. The running time and space complexity of the system are near linear. The implementation is in C using OpenGL for 3D viewing. The GRIP system allows for drawing graphs with tens of thousands of vertices in under one minute on a mid-range PC. To the best of the authors’ knowledge, GRIP surpasses the fastest previous algorithms. However, speed is not achieved at the expense of quality as the resulting drawings are quite aesthetically pleasing.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 2 standard articles )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Bannister, Michael J.; Eppstein, David; Goodrich, Michael T.; Trott, Lowell: Force-directed graph drawing using social gravity and scaling (2013)
- Bartel, Gereon; Gutwenger, Carsten; Klein, Karsten; Mutzel, Petra: An experimental evaluation of multilevel layout methods (2011)
- Bourqui, Romain; Simonetto, Paolo; Jourdan, Fabien: A stable decomposition algorithm for dynamic social network analysis (2010)
- Godiyal, Apeksha; Hoberock, Jared; Garland, Michael; Hart, John C.: Rapid multipole graph drawing on the GPU (2009)
- Hachul, Stefan; Jünger, Michael: An experimental comparison of fast algorithms for drawing general large graphs (2006)
- Bentiba, Ahmed: Patterns in irregular multi-dimensional arrays (2005)
- Gajer, Pawel; Goodrich, Michael T.; Kobourov, Stephen G.: A multi-dimensional approach to force-directed layouts of large graphs (2004)
- Gajer, Pawel; Kobourov, Stephen G.: GRIP: Graph drawing with intelligent placement (2002)
- Gajer, Pawel; Kobourov, Stephen G.: GRIP: Graph drawing with intelligent placement (2001)