The TheLMA project: Multi-GPU implementation of the lattice Boltzmann method. In this paper, we describe the implementation of a multi-graphical processing unit (GPU) fluid flow solver based on the lattice Boltzmann method (LBM). The LBM is a novel approach in computational fluid dynamics, with numerous interesting features from a computational, numerical, and physical standpoint. Our program is based on CUDA and uses POSIX threads to manage multiple computation devices. Using recently released hardware, our solver may therefore run eight GPUs in parallel, which allows us to perform simulations at a rather large scale. Performance and scalability are excellent, the speedup over sequential implementations being at least of two orders of magnitude. In addition, we discuss tiling and communication issues for present and forthcoming implementations.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Obrecht, Christian; Asinari, Pietro; Kuznik, Frédéric; Roux, Jean-Jacques: Thermal link-wise artificial compressibility method: GPU implementation and validation of a double-population model (2016)
- Obrecht, Christian; Kuznik, Frédéric: Hybrid thermal link-wise artificial compressibility method (2015)
- Contrino, Dario; Lallemand, Pierre; Asinari, Pietro; Luo, Li-Shi: Lattice-Boltzmann simulations of the thermally driven 2D square cavity at high Rayleigh numbers (2014)
- Delbosc, N.; Summers, J.L.; Khan, A.I.; Kapur, N.; Noakes, C.J.: Optimized implementation of the lattice Boltzmann method on a graphics processing unit towards real-time fluid simulation (2014)
- Bogdanov, P.B.; Gorobets, A.V.; Sukov, S.A.: Adaptation and optimization of basic operations for an unstructured mesh CFD algorithm, for computation on massively parallel accelerators (2013)
- Obrecht, Christian; Kuznik, Frédéric; Tourancheau, Bernard; Roux, Jean-Jacques: Multi-GPU implementation of a hybrid thermal lattice Boltzmann solver using the TheLMA framework (2013) ioport
- Astorino, M.; Becerra-Sagredo, J.; Quarteroni, A.: A modular lattice Boltzmann solver for GPU computing (2012)
- Obrecht, Christian; Kuznik, Frédéric; Tourancheau, Bernard; Roux, Jean-Jacques: The TheLMA project: a thermal lattice Boltzmann solver for the GPU (2012)