DiFi: Fast 3D distance field computation using graphics hardware. We present an algorithm for fast computation of discretized 3D distance fields using graphics hardware. Given a set of primitives and a distance metric, our algorithm computes the distance field for each slice of a uniform spatial grid baly rasterizing the distance functions of the primitives. We compute bounds on the spatial extent of the Voronoi region of each primitive. These bounds are used to cull and clamp the distance functions rendered for each slice. Our algorithm is applicable to all geometric models and does not make any assumptions about connectivity or a manifold representation. We have used our algorithm to compute distance fields of large models composed of tens of thousands of primitives on high resolution grids. Moreover, we demonstrate its application to medial axis evaluation and proximity computations. As compared to earlier approaches, we are able to achieve an order of magnitude improvement in the running time.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Coeurjolly, David; Vacavant, Antoine: Separable distance transformation and its applications (2012)
- Xia, Hao; Tucker, Paul G.: Fast equal and biased distance fields for medial axis transform with meshing in mind (2011)
- Choi, Juhwan; Ryu, Han Sik; Kim, Chang Wan; Choi, Jin Hwan: An efficient and robust contact algorithm for a compliant contact force model between bodies of complex geometry (2010)
- Schneider, Jens; Kraus, Martin; Westermann, Rüdiger: GPU-based Euclidean distance transforms and their application to volume rendering (2010)
- Xia, Hao; Tucker, Paul G.: Finite volume distance field and its application to medial axis transforms (2010)
- Fort, Marta; Sellarès, J.Antoni: Computing generalized higher-order Voronoi diagrams on triangulated surfaces (2009)
- Jeong, Won-Ki; Whitaker, Ross T.: A fast iterative method for eikonal equations (2008)
- Zhang, Liangjun; Kim, Young J.; Manocha, Dinesh: Efficient distance computation in configuration space (2008)
- van Dortmont, M.A.M.M.; van de Wetering, H.M.M.; Telea, A.C.: Skeletonization and distance transforms of 3D volumes using graphics hardware (2006)