SALBPGen - A systematic data generator for (simple) assembly line balancing. Assembly line balancing is a well-known and extensively researched decision problem which arises when assembly line production systems are designed and operated. A large variety of real-world problem variations and elaborate solution methods were developed and presented in the academic literature in the past 60 years. Nevertheless, computational experiments examining and comparing the performance of solution procedures were mostly based on very limited data sets unsystematically collected from the literature and from some real-world cases. In particular, the precedence graphs used as the basis of former tests are limited in number and characteristics. As a consequence, former performance analyses suffer from a lack of systematics and statistical evidence. In this article, we propose SALPBGen, a new instance generator for the simple assembly line balancing problem (SALBP) which can be applied to any other assembly line balancing problem, too. It is able to systematically create instances with very diverse structures under full control of the experiment’s designer. In particular, based on our analysis of real-world problems from automotive and related industries, typical substructures of the precedence graph like chains, bottlenecks and modules can be generated and combined as required based on a detailed analysis of graph structures and structure measures like the order strength. We also present a collection of new challenging benchmark data sets which are suited for comprehensive statistical tests in comparative studies of solution methods for SALBP and generalized problems as well. Researchers are invited to participate in a challenge to solve these new problem instances.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Dolgui, Alexandre; Kovalev, Sergey; Kovalyov, Mikhail Y.; Malyutin, Sergey; Soukhal, Ameur: Optimal workforce assignment to operations of a paced assembly line (2018)
- Calleja, Gema; Corominas, Albert; García-Villoria, Alberto; Pastor, Rafael: Hybrid metaheuristics for the accessibility windows assembly line balancing problem level 2 (AWALBP-L2) (2016)
- Pereira, Jordi: Procedures for the bin packing problem with precedence constraints (2016)
- Moreira, Mayron César O.; Miralles, Cristóbal; Costa, Alysson M.: Model and heuristics for the assembly line worker integration and balancing problem (2015)
- Pape, Tom: Heuristics and lower bounds for the simple assembly line balancing problem type 1: overview, computational tests and improvements (2015)
- Borba, Leonardo; Ritt, Marcus: A heuristic and a branch-and-bound algorithm for the assembly line worker assignment and balancing problem (2014)
- Morrison, David R.; Sewell, Edward C.; Jacobson, Sheldon H.: An application of the branch, bound, and remember algorithm to a new simple assembly line balancing dataset (2014)
- Otto, Christian; Otto, Alena: Multiple-source learning precedence graph concept for the automotive industry (2014)
- Otto, Alena; Otto, Christian; Scholl, Armin: Systematic data generation and test design for solution algorithms on the example of SALBPGen for assembly line balancing (2013)
- Klindworth, Hanne; Otto, Christian; Scholl, Armin: On a learning precedence graph concept for the automotive industry (2012)