GOAL solver: a hybrid local search based solver for high school timetabling. This work presents a local search approach to the High School Timetabling Problem. The addressed timetabling model is the one stated in the Third International Timetabling Competition (ITC 2011), which considered many instances from educational institutions around the world and attracted seventeen competitors. Our team, named GOAL (Group of Optimization and Algorithms), developed a solver built upon the Kingston High School Timetabling Engine. Several neighborhood structures were developed and used in a hybrid metaheuristic based on Simulated Annealing and Iterated Local Search. The developed algorithm was the winner of the competition and produced the best known solutions for almost all instances.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Rodriguez-Tello, Eduardo; Lardeux, Frédéric; Duarte, Abraham; Narvaez-Teran, Valentina: Alternative evaluation functions for the cyclic bandwidth sum problem (2019)
- da Costa Vieira Rezende, Josiane; Souza, Marcone Jamilson Freitas; Coelho, Vitor Nazário; Martins, Alexandre Xavier: HMS: a hybrid multi-start algorithm for solving binary linear programs (2018)
- Saviniec, Landir; Santos, Maristela O.; Costa, Alysson M.: Parallel local search algorithms for high school timetabling problems (2018)
- da Fonseca, George Henrique Godim; Santos, Haroldo Gambini; Machado Toffolo, Túlio Ângelo; Souza Brito, Samuel; Freitas Souza, Marcone Jamilson: GOAL solver: a hybrid local search based solver for high school timetabling (2016)
- Fonseca, George H. G.; Santos, Haroldo G.; Carrano, Eduardo G.: Late acceptance hill-climbing for high school timetabling (2016)
- Fonseca, George H. G.; Santos, Haroldo G.; Carrano, Eduardo G.: Integrating matheuristics and metaheuristics for timetabling (2016)
- Johnes, Jill: Operational research in education (2015)
- Katsaragakis, Iosif V.; Tassopoulos, Ioannis X.; Beligiannis, Grigorios N.: A comparative study of modern heuristics on the school timetabling problem (2015)
- Kristiansen, Simon; Sørensen, Matias; Stidsen, Thomas R.: Integer programming for the generalized high school timetabling problem (2015)
- Fonseca, George H. G.; Santos, Haroldo G.: Variable neighborhood search based algorithms for high school timetabling (2014)