Melanie II – a third-generation software package for analysis of two-dimensional electrophoresis images: II. Algorithms. After two generations of software systems for the analysis of two-dimensional electrophoresis (2-DE) images, a third generation of such software packages has recently emerged that combines state-of-the-art graphical user interfaces with comprehensive spot data analysis capabilities. A key characteristic common to most of these software packages is that many of their tools are implementations of algorithms that resulted from research areas such as image processing, vision, artifical intelligence or machine learning. This article presents the main algorithms implemented in the Melanie II 2-D PAGE software package. The applications of these algorithms, embodied as the feature of the program, are explained in an accompanying article (R. D. Appel et al.; Electrophoresis 1997, 18, 2724–2734).
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 5 articles )
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5.
- Savelonas, Michalis A.; Mylona, Eleftheria A.; Maroulis, Dimitris: Unsupervised 2D gel electrophoresis image segmentation based on active contours (2012)
- Liu, Yi-Sheng; Chen, Shu-Yuan; Liu, Ru-Sheng; Duh, Der-Jyh; Chao, Ya-Ting; Tsai, Yuan-Ching; Hsieh, Jaw-Shu: Spot detection for a 2-DE gel image using a slice tree with confidence evaluation (2009)
- Rohr, K.; Cathier, P.; Wörz, S.: Elastic registration of electrophoresis images using intensity information and point landmarks (2004)
- Akutsu, Tatsuya; Kanaya, Kyotetsu; Ohyama, Akira; Fujiyama, Asao: Point matching under non-uniform distortions. (2003)
- Hoffmann, F.; Kriegel, K.; Wenk, C.: An applied point pattern matching problem: Comparing 2D patterns of protein spots (1999)