jInv - a flexible Julia package for PDE parameter estimation. Estimating parameters of Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) from noisy and indirect measurements requires solutions of ill-posed inverse problems. Such problems arise in a variety of applications such as geophysical, medical imaging, and nondestructive testing. These so called parameter estimation or inverse medium problems, are computationally intense since the underlying PDEs need to be solved numerous times until the reconstruction of the parameters is sufficiently accurate. Typically, the computational demand grows significantly when more measurements are available, which poses severe challenges to inversion algorithms as measurement devices become more powerful. In this paper we present jInv, a flexible framework and open source software that provides parallel algorithms for solving parameter estimation problems with many measurements. Being written in the expressive programing language Julia, jInv is portable, easy to understand and extend, cross-platform tested, and well-documented. It provides parallelization schemes that exploit the inherent structure in many parameter estimation problems and can be used to solve multiphysics inversion problems as is demonstrated using numerical experiments motivated by geophysical imaging.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Eliasof, Moshe; Sharf, Andrei; Treister, Eran: Multimodal 3D shape reconstruction under calibration uncertainty using parametric level set methods (2020)
- Fung, Samy Wu; Ruthotto, Lars: A multiscale method for model order reduction in PDE parameter estimation (2019)
- Fung, Samy Wu; Ruthotto, Lars: An uncertainty-weighted asynchronous ADMM method for parallel PDE parameter estimation (2019)
- Ruthotto, Lars; Chung, Julianne; Chung, Matthias: Optimal experimental design for inverse problems with state constraints (2018)
- Ruthotto, Lars; Treister, Eran; Haber, Eldad: jInv -- a flexible Julia package for PDE parameter estimation (2017)
- Treister, Eran; Haber, Eldad: Full waveform inversion guided by travel time tomography (2017)
- Treister, Eran; Haber, Eldad: A fast marching algorithm for the factored eikonal equation (2016)