ESOLID: a system for exact boundary evaluation. We present a system, ESOLID, that performs exact boundary evaluation of low-degree curved solids in reasonable amounts of time. ESOLID performs accurate Boolean operations using exact representations and exact computations throughout. The demands of exact computation require a different set of algorithms and efficiency improvements than those found in a traditional inexact floating-point based modeler. We describe the system architecture, representations, and issues in implementing the algorithms. We also describe a number of techniques that increase the efficiency of the system based on lazy evaluation, use of floating-point filters, arbitrary floating-point arithmetic with error bounds, and lower-dimensional formulation of subproblems. ESOLID has been used for boundary evaluation of many complex solids. These include both synthetic datasets and parts of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle designed using the BRL-CAD solid modeling system. It is shown that ESOLID can correctly evaluate the boundary of solids that are very hard to compute using a fixed-precision floating-point modeler. In terms of performance, it is about an order of magnitude slower as compared to a floating-point boundary evaluation system on most cases.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Feito, Francisco R.; Ruiz-de-Miras, Juan; Rivero, Marilina; Segura, Rafael J.; Torres, Juan C.: From theoretical graphic objects to real free-form solids (2014)
- Hemmer, Michael; Dupont, Laurent; Petitjean, Sylvain; Schömer, Elmar: A complete, exact and efficient implementation for computing the edge-adjacency graph of an arrangement of quadrics (2011)
- Dupont, Laurent; Lazard, Daniel; Lazard, Sylvain; Petitjean, Sylvain: Near-optimal parameterization of the intersection of quadrics. I. The generic algorithm (2008)
- Emiris, Ioannis Z.; Tsigaridas, Elias P.: Real algebraic numbers and polynomial systems of small degree (2008)
- Wein, Ron; Fogel, Efi; Zukerman, Baruch; Halperin, Dan: Advanced programming techniques applied to CGAL’s arrangement package (2007)
- Lazard, Sylvain; Peñaranda, Luis Mariano; Petitjean, Sylvain: Intersecting quadrics: an efficient and exact implementation (2006)
- Schömer, Elmar; Wolpert, Nicola: An exact and efficient approach for computing a cell in an arrangement of quadrics (2006)
- Keyser, John; Culver, Tim; Foskey, Mark; Krishnan, Shankar; Manocha, Dinesh: ESOLID-a system for exact boundary evaluation (2004)