MINMOD: A computer program to calculate insulin sensitivity and pancreatic responsivity from the frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test. Insulin sensitivity and pancreatic responsivity are the two main factors controlling glucose tolerance. We have proposed a method for measuring these two factors, using computer analysis of a frequently-sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test (FSIGT). This ‘minimal modelling approach’ fits two mathematical models with FSIGT glucose and insulin data: one of glucose disappearance and one of insulin kinetics. MINMOD is the computer program which identifies the model parameters for each individual. A nonlinear least squares estimation technique is used, employing a gradient-type of estimation algorithm, and the first derivatives (not known analitically) are computed according to the ‘sensitivity approach’. The program yields the parameter estimates and the precision of their estimation. From the model parameters, it is possible to extract four indices: (1) SG, the ability of glucose per se to enhance its own disappearance at basal insulin, (2) S1, the tissue insulin sensitivity index, (3) φ1, first phase pancreatic responsitivity, and (4) φ2, second phase pancreatic responsitivity. These four characteristic parameters have been shown to represent an integrated metabolic portrait of a single individual.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Fessel, Kimberly; Gaither, Jeffrey B.; Bower, Julie K.; Gaillard, Trudy; Osei, Kwame; Rempala, Grzegorz A.: Mathematical analysis of a model for glucose regulation (2016)
- Herrero, Pau; Delaunay, Beno^ıt; Jaulin, Luc; Georgiou, Pantelis; Oliver, Nick; Toumazou, Christofer: Robust set-membership parameter estimation of the glucose minimal model (2016)
- Cho, Yongjin; Kim, Imbunm; Sheen, Dongwoo: A fractional-order model for MINMOD millennium (2015)
- Muchmore, Patrick; Marjoram, Paul: Exact likelihood-free Markov chain Monte Carlo for elliptically contoured distributions (2015)
- Pitchaimani, M.; Krishnapriya, P.; Monica, C.: Mathematical modeling of intra-venous glucose tolerance test model with two discrete delays (2015)
- Li, Lin; Zheng, Wenxin: Global stability of a delay model of glucose-insulin interaction (2010)
- Makroglou, Athena; Li, Jiaxu; Kuang, Yang: Mathematical models and software tools for the glucose - insulin regulatory system and diabetes: an overview (2006)
- Wang, Xujing; He, Zening; Ghosh, Soumitra: Investigation of the age-at-onset heterogeneity in type 1 diabetes through mathematical modeling (2006)
- Pillonetto, Gianluigi; Sparacino, Giovanni; Cobelli, Claudio: Numerical non-identifiability regions of the minimal model of glucose kinetics: Superiority of Bayesian estimation (2003)