Velvet: Algorithms for de novo short read assembly using de Bruijn graphs. We have developed a new set of algorithms, collectively called ”Velvet,” to manipulate de Bruijn graphs for genomic sequence assembly. A de Bruijn graph is a compact representation based on short words (k-mers) that is ideal for high coverage, very short read (25-50 bp) data sets. Applying Velvet to very short reads and paired-ends information only, one can produce contigs of significant length, up to 50-kb N50 length in simulations of prokaryotic data and 3-kb N50 on simulated mammalian BACs. When applied to real Solexa data sets without read pairs, Velvet generated contigs of approximately 8 kb in a prokaryote and 2 kb in a mammalian BAC, in close agreement with our simulated results without read-pair information. Velvet represents a new approach to assembly that can leverage very short reads in combination with read pairs to produce useful assemblies.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Eugene Goltsman, Isaac Ho, Daniel Rokhsar: Meraculous-2D: Haplotype-sensitive Assembly of Highly Heterozygous genomes (2017) arXiv
- Brankovic, Ljiljana; Iliopoulos, Costas S.; Kundu, Ritu; Mohamed, Manal; Pissis, Solon P.; Vayani, Fatima: Linear-time superbubble identification algorithm for genome assembly (2016)
- Nimmy, Sonia Farhana; Kamal, M.S.: Next generation sequencing under de novo genome assembly (2015)
- Blazewicz, Jacek; Frohmberg, Wojciech; Gawron, Piotr; Kasprzak, Marta; Kierzynka, Michal; Swiercz, Aleksandra; Wojciechowski, Pawel: DNA sequence assembly involving an acyclic graph model (2013)
- Sergushichev, A.A.; Aleksandrov, A.V.; Kazakov, S.V.; Tsarev, F.N.; Shalyto, A.A.: Combining de Bruijn graphs, overlap graphs and microassembly for \itde novo genome assembly (2013)
- Wendl, Michael C.; Kota, Karthik; Weinstock, George M.; Mitreva, Makedonka: Coverage theories for metagenomic DNA sequencing based on a generalization of Stevens’ theorem (2013)
- Välimäki, Niko; Ladra, Susana; Mäkinen, Veli: Approximate all-pairs suffix/prefix overlaps (2012)
- Schwartz, David C.; Waterman, Michael S.: New generations: sequencing machines and their computational challenges (2009) ioport