The primary goal of the so-called DML (Digital Mathematical Library) is to make all mathematical literature digitally available. RusDML, the Russian Digital Mathematics Library, is part of this global enterprise. The activities of the RusDML project currently lie within the digitalisation of the most important Russian language journals from 1866 to the present. This information is to be made available online, using Zentralblatt MATH as a portal.Standard solutions or already existing scripts are not sufficient for the RusDML project, so a new solution has to be found. Among other things, the software that has to be developed must fulfil the following requirements: With the help of the tool it will be easier to collect and to edit the different information of the journals. This affects the generation of the general metadata and the hierarchical structural data of the volumes and also concerns the matching of logical (printed) and physical page numbers. Metadata from different sources (for example from the ”Zentralblatt” and the ”Jahrbuch über die Fortschritte der Mathematik”) are to be imported on the basis of an XML format. Via a WebDAV server, the tool will enable read/write access on external file systems and their data (for example for quality control or editing of scanned images). Furthermore the components for a distributed workflow management will be integrated into the tool. This ensures the administration of the production and the communication between the project partners. Thus it will be possible for each partner to view detailed information about the status of a certain journal at any time. To enable a decentralized work, the tool will be realized as a web application and may thus be accessed from distributed locations. Through the consistent adoption of Java technology, which does not depend on a special hardware or software environment, it will be ensured furthermore that both Western European and Eastern European fonts could be used within the tool by means of unicode encoding.
References in zbMATH (referenced in 5 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5.
- Bouche, Thierry: Digital mathematics libraries: the good, the bad, the ugly (2010)
- Wegner, Bernd: RusDML 2008. Current facilities of the core archive of digitized Russian publications in mathematics (2008)
- Evstigneeva, Galina A.; Wegner, Bernd: Recent progress with RusDML (2005)
- Evstigneeva, Galina A.; Zemskov, Andrei I.: RusDML - A Russian-German project for establishing a digital archive of the Russian mathematical publications (2003)
- Evstigneeva, Galina A.; Zemskov, Andrei I.: RusDML -- a Russian-German project for establishing a digital archive of the Russian mathematical publications (2003)