The EIRENE neutral particle (incl. photons) transport code is described. This code resorts to a combinatorial discretization of general 3 dimensional computational domains. It is a multi-species code solving simultaneously a system of time dependent (optional) or stationary (default) linear or non-linear kinetic transport equations of almost arbitrary complexity. A rather crude model for transport of ionized particles in an externally specified magnetic field lines is also included. EIRENE is coupled to external databases for atomic and molecular data and for surface reflection data, and it calls various user supplied routines, e.g. for exchange of data with other (fluid-) transport codes. The main goal of code development was to provide a tool to investigate neutral gas transport in magnetically confined plasmas. But, due to its flexibility, it also can be used to solve more general linear kinetic transport equations, by applying a stochastic rather than a numerical or analytical method of solution. In particular, options are retained to reduce the model equations to the theoretically important case of the one speed transport problem. Major applications of EIRENE are in connection with plasma fluid codes, in particular with the various versions of the B2 code. The semi-implicit iterative coupling method of B2-EIRENE and it’s implementation (code segment: EIRCOP) are also described.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Horsten, Niels; Samaey, Giovanni; Baelmans, Martine: A hybrid fluid-kinetic model for hydrogenic atoms in the plasma edge of tokamaks based on a micro-macro decomposition of the kinetic equation (2020)
- Giorgiani, G.; Bufferand, H.; Ciraolo, G.; Ghendrih, P.; Schwander, F.; Serre, E.; Tamain, P.: A hybrid discontinuous Galerkin method for tokamak edge plasma simulations in global realistic geometry (2018)
- Gutiérrez-Santacreu, Juan Vicente; Maj, Omar; Restelli, Marco: Finite element discretization of a Stokes-like model arising in plasma physics (2018)
- Blommaert, Maarten; Heumann, Holger; Baelmans, Martine; Gauger, Nicolas R.; Reiter, Detlev: Towards automated magnetic divertor design for optimal heat exhaust (2016)
- Ghoos, K.; Dekeyser, W.; Samaey, G.; Börner, P.; Baelmans, M.: Accuracy and convergence of coupled finite-volume/Monte Carlo codes for plasma edge simulations of nuclear fusion reactors (2016)
- Minjeaud, Sebastian; Pasquetti, Richard: Fourier-spectral element approximation of the ion-electron Braginskii system with application to tokamak edge plasma in divertor configuration (2016)
- Tamain, P.; Bufferand, H.; Ciraolo, G.; Colin, C.; Galassi, D.; Ghendrih, Ph.; Schwander, F.; Serre, E.: The TOKAM3X code for edge turbulence fluid simulations of tokamak plasmas in versatile magnetic geometries (2016)
- Dekeyser, W.; Reiter, D.; Baelmans, M.: Automated divertor target design by adjoint shape sensitivity analysis and a one-shot method (2014)
- Tokar, Mikhail Z.: Numerical solution of momentum balance equations for plasmas with two ion species (2011)