Itubee: a software oriented lightweight block cipher. In this paper, we propose a software oriented lightweight block cipher, ITUbee. The cipher is especially suitable for resource constrained devices including an 8-bit microcontroller such as sensor nodes in wireless sensor networks. For a sensor node one of the most important constraints is the low energy consumption because of the limited battery power. Also, the memory on sensor nodes are restricted. We have simulated the performance of ITUbee in the AVR ATtiny45 microcontroller using the integrated development platform Atmel Studio 6. We have evaluated the memory usage and clock cycles needed for an encryption. The number of clock cycles gives a metric for energy consumption. The simulation results show that ITUbee is a competitive block cipher on 8-bit software platforms in terms of energy consumption. Also, less memory requirement of the cipher is remarkable. In addition, we have shown that the attacks which are effective on software oriented lightweight block ciphers can not reduce the 80-bit security level of ITUbee.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Esgin, Muhammed F.; Kara, Orhun: Practical cryptanalysis of full Sprout with TMD tradeoff attacks (2016)
- Luykx, Atul; Preneel, Bart; Tischhauser, Elmar; Yasuda, Kan: A MAC mode for lightweight block ciphers (2016)
- Beaulieu, Ray; Shors, Douglas; Smith, Jason; Treatman-Clark, Stefan; Weeks, Bryan; Wingers, Louis: The \textscSimonand \textscSpeckblock ciphers on AVR 8-bit microcontrollers (2015)
- Karakoç, F.; Demirci, H.; Harmancı, A. E.: AKF: a key alternating Feistel scheme for lightweight cipher designs (2015)
- Sakallı, Muharrem Tolga; Akleylek, Sedat; Aslan, Bora; Buluş, Ercan; Sakallı, Fatma Büyüksaraçoğlu: On the construction of (20 \times20) and (2 4 \times24) binary matrices with good implementation properties for lightweight block ciphers and hash functions (2014)
- Karakoç, Ferhat; Demirci, Hüseyin; Harmancı, A. Emre: ITUbee: a software oriented lightweight block cipher (2013)