In this paper, we present a decentralized dynamic load scheduling/balancing algorithm called ELISA (Estimated Load Information Scheduling Algorithm) for general purpose distributed computing systems. ELISA uses estimated state information based upon periodic exchange of exact state information between neighbouring nodes to perform load scheduling. The primary objective of the algorithm is to cut down on the communication and load transfer overheads by minimizing the frequency of status exchange and by restricting the load transfer and status exchange within the buddy set of a processor. It is shown that the resulting algorithm performs almost as well as a perfect information algorithm and is superior to other load balancing schemes based on the random sharing and Ni-Hwang algorithms. A sensitivity analysis to study the effect of various design parameters on the effectiveness of load balancing is also carried out. Finally, the algorithm’s performance is tested on large dimensional hypercubes in the presence of time-varying load arrival process and is shown to perform well in comparison to other algorithms. This makes ELISA a viable and implementable load balancing algorithm for use in general purpose distributed computing systems.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Mathias, Jacob H. (ed.): Mathematics, game theory and algebra compendium. Volume 1. (2009)
- Ndlovu, P.; Rosenberger, J.L.: Parameter robust designs for immunoassays: an ELISA example (2006)
- Grosu, Daniel; Chronopoulos, Anthony T.: Noncooperative load balancing in distributed systems (2005)
- Donskoy, E.N.; Zalyalov, A.N.: Bremsstrahlung account in photon transport (2004)
- Hingley, P.J.: Analytic estimator densities for common parameters under misspecified models (2004)
- Quintarelli, Elisa: Model-checking based data retrieval. An application to semistructured and temporal data. (2004)
- Greiner, Matthias: Serodiagnostic tests. Evaluation and interpretation in veterinary medicine and other special fields (2003)
- Hedayat, A.S.; Yan, Bo; Pezzuto, John M.: Optimum designs for estimating $ED_p$ based on raw optical density data (2002)
- Anand, L.; Ghose, D.; Mani, V.: ELISA: An estimated load information scheduling algorithm for distributed computing systems (1999)