SNIF-ACT: A model of information foraging on the world wide web. SNIF-ACT (Scent-based Navigation and Information Foraging in the ACT architecture) has been developed to simulate users as they perform unfamiliar information-seeking tasks on the World Wide Web (WWW). SNIF-ACT selects actions based on the measure of information scent, which is calculated by a spreading activation mechanism that captures the mutual relevance of the contents of a WWW page to the goal of the user. There are two main predictions of SNIF-ACT: (1) users working on unfamiliar tasks are expected to choose links that have high information scent, (2) users will leave a site when the information scent of the site diminishes below a certain threshold. SNIF-ACT produced good fits to data collected from four users working on two tasks each. The results suggest that the current content-based spreading activation SNIF-ACT model is able to generate useful predictions about complex user-WWW interactions.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Nassiri-Mofakham, Faria: How does an intelligent agent infer and translate? (2014) ioport
- Danilenko, A. I.; Goubko, M. V.: Semantic-aware optimization of user interface menus (2013)
- Trattner, Christoph; Helic, Denis; Strohmaier, Markus: On the construction of efficiently navigable tag clouds using knowledge from structured web content (2011) ioport
- Longo, Luca; Dondio, Pierpaolo; Barrett, Stephen: Enhancing social search: a computational collective intelligence model of behavioural traits, trust and time (2010) ioport
- Hollink, Vera; Van Someren, Maarten; Wielinga, Bob J.: Navigation behavior models for link structure optimization (2007) ioport
- Hollink, Vera; Van Someren, Maarte; Wielinga, Bob J.: Discovering stages in web navigation for problem-oriented navigation support (2007) ioport
- Drake, Miriam A. (ed.): Encyclopedia of library and information science. (2005)
- Matsuo, Yutaka: Word weighting based on user’s browsing history (2003)
- Pirolli, Peter; Fu, Wai-Tat: SNIF-ACT: A model of information foraging on the world wide web (2003)