STAR: ultrafast universal RNA-seq aligner. Motivation: Accurate alignment of high-throughput RNA-seq data is a challenging and yet unsolved problem because of the non-contiguous transcript structure, relatively short read lengths and constantly increasing throughput of the sequencing technologies. Currently available RNA-seq aligners suffer from high mapping error rates, low mapping speed, read length limitation and mapping biases. Results: To align our large (>80 billon reads) ENCODE Transcriptome RNA-seq dataset, we developed the Spliced Transcripts Alignment to a Reference (STAR) software based on a previously undescribed RNA-seq alignment algorithm that uses sequential maximum mappable seed search in uncompressed suffix arrays followed by seed clustering and stitching procedure. STAR outperforms other aligners by a factor of >50 in mapping speed, aligning to the human genome 550 million 2 × 76 bp paired-end reads per hour on a modest 12-core server, while at the same time improving alignment sensitivity and precision. In addition to unbiased de novo detection of canonical junctions, STAR can discover non-canonical splices and chimeric (fusion) transcripts, and is also capable of mapping full-length RNA sequences. Using Roche 454 sequencing of reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction amplicons, we experimentally validated 1960 novel intergenic splice junctions with an 80–90% success rate, corroborating the high precision of the STAR mapping strategy. Availability and implementation: STAR is implemented as a standalone C++ code. STAR is free open source software distributed under GPLv3 license and can be downloaded from http://code.google.com/p/rna-star/.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Faisal, Shahla; Tutz, Gerhard: Missing value imputation for gene expression data by tailored nearest neighbors (2017)
- Fu, Rong; Wang, Pei; Ma, Weiping; Taguchi, Ayumu; Wong, Chee-Hong; Zhang, Qing; Gazdar, Adi; Hanash, Samir M.; Zhou, Qinghua; Zhong, Hua; Feng, Ziding: A statistical method for detecting differentially expressed SNVs based on next-generation RNA-seq data (2017)
- Shomroni, Orr: Development of algorithms and next-generation sequencing data workflows for the analysis of gene regulatory networks (2017)
- Carugo, Oliviero (ed.); Eisenhaber, Frank (ed.): Data mining techniques for the life sciences (2016)
- Mathé, Ewy (ed.); Davis, Sean (ed.): Statistical genomics. Methods and protocols (2016)
- Picardi, Ernesto (ed.): RNA bioinformatics (2015)