A NURBS enhanced extended finite element approach for unfitted CAD analysis. A NURBS enhanced extended finite element approach is proposed for the unfitted simulation of structures defined by means of CAD parametric surfaces. In contrast to classical X-FEM that uses levelsets to define the geometry of the computational domain, exact CAD description is considered here. Following the ideas developed in the context of the NURBS-enhanced finite element method, NURBS-enhanced subelements are defined to take into account the exact geometry of the interface inside an element. In addition, a high-order approximation is considered to allow for large elements compared to the size of the geometrical details (without loss of accuracy). Finally, a geometrically implicit/explicit approach is proposed for efficiency purpose in the context of fracture mechanics. In this paper, only 2D examples are considered: It is shown that optimal rates of convergence are obtained without the need to consider shape functions defined in the physical space. Moreover, thanks to the flexibility given by the Partition of Unity, it is possible to recover optimal convergence rates in the case of re-entrant corners, cracks and embedded material interfaces.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Safdari, Masoud; Najafi, Ahmad R.; Sottos, Nancy R.; Geubelle, Philippe H.: A NURBS-based generalized finite element scheme for 3D simulation of heterogeneous materials (2016)
- Marco, Onofre; Sevilla, Ruben; Zhang, Yongjie; Ródenas, Juan José; Tur, Manuel: Exact 3D boundary representation in finite element analysis based on Cartesian grids independent of the geometry (2015)
- Schillinger, Dominik; Ruess, Martin: The finite cell method: a review in the context of higher-order structural analysis of CAD and image-based geometric models (2015)
- Heltai, Luca; Arroyo, Marino; DeSimone, Antonio: Nonsingular isogeometric boundary element method for Stokes flows in 3D (2014)
- Sevilla, Ruben; Barbieri, Ettore: NURBS distance fields for extremely curved cracks (2014)
- Legrain, Grégory: A NURBS enhanced extended finite element approach for unfitted CAD analysis (2013)