QuickPIC is a highly efficient, fully parallelized, fully relativistic, three-dimensional particle-in-cell code for simulating particle or laser beam driven wakefield acceleration. The algorithm is based on the quasi-static approximation, which separates out the time scale of the evolution of the driver from the plasma evolution and reduces a fully three-dimensional electromagnetic field solve and particle push to a sequence of two-dimensional transverse field solves and particle pushes. For the laser driver, the ponderomotive guiding center approximation is used. Overall this algorithm speeds up the computational time by 2 to 4 orders of magnitude without losing accuracy for problems of interest. QuickPIC is built using the UPIC Framework. Dynamic load balancing and a field ionization module have been implemented. Recently a novel pipelining algorithm was implemented. With pipelining, QuickPIC achieves good strong scaling to over 10,000+ processors on platforms such as at NERSC.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- An, Weiming; Decyk, Viktor K.; Mori, Warren B.; Antonsen, Thomas M.: An improved iteration loop for the three dimensional quasi-static particle-in-cell algorithm: QuickPIC (2013)
- Cowan, Benjamin M.; Bruhwiler, David L.; Cormier-Michel, Estelle; Esarey, Eric; Geddes, Cameron G.R.; Messmer, Peter; Paul, Kevin M.: Characteristics of an envelope model for laser-plasma accelerator simulation (2011)
- Madduri, Kamesh; Im, Eun-Jin; Ibrahim, Khaled Z.; Williams, Samuel; Ethier, Stéphane; Oliker, Leonid: Gyrokinetic particle-in-cell optimization on emerging multi- and manycore platforms (2011)
- Martins, Samuel F.; Fonseca, Ricardo A.; Silva, Luís O.; Lu, Wei; Mori, Warren B.: Numerical simulations of laser wakefield accelerators in optimal Lorentz frames (2010)
- Feng, B.; Huang, C.; Decyk, V.; Mori, W.B.; Muggli, P.; Katsouleas, T.: Enhancing parallel quasi-static particle-in-cell simulations with a pipelining algorithm (2009)
- Huang, C.; Decyk, V.K.; Ren, C.; Zhou, M.; Lu, W.; Mori, W.B.; Cooley, J.H.; Antonsen, T.M. jun.; Katsouleas, T.: QUICKPIC: a highly efficient particle-in-cell code for modeling wakefield acceleration in plasmas (2006)
Further publications can be found at: https://plasmasim.physics.ucla.edu/publications