Spatial SQL: a query and presentation language. Recently, attention has been focused on spatial databases, which combine conventional and spatially related data, such as geographic information systems, CAD/CAM, or VLSI. A language has been developed to query such spatial databases. It recognizes the significantly different requirements of spatial data handling and overcomes the inherent problems of the application of conventional database query languages. The spatial query language has been designed as a minimal extension to the interrogative part of SQL and distinguishes from previously designed SQL extensions by: the preservation of SQL concepts; the high-level treatment of spatial objects; and the incorporation of spatial operations and relationships. It consists of two components, a query language to describe what information to retrieve and a presentation language to specify how to display query results. Users can ask standard SQL queries to retrieve nonspatial data based on nonspatial constraints, use Spatial SQL commands to inquire about situations involving spatial data, and give instructions in the Graphical Presentation Language, GPL to manipulate or examine the graphical presentation.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 12 articles )
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12.
- da Silva, Joel; de Oliveira, Anjolina G.; Fidalgo, Robson N.; Salgado, Ana Carolina; Times, Valéria C.: Modelling and querying geographical data warehouses (2010) ioport
- Pauly, Alejandro; Schneider, Markus: VASA: an algebra for vague spatial data in databases (2010) ioport
- Du, Shihong; Guo, Luo; Wang, Qiao: A model for describing and composing direction relations between overlapping and contained regions (2008)
- Praing, Reasey; Schneider, Markus: Efficient implementation techniques for topological predicates on complex spatial objects (2008) ioport
- Jiang, Songtao; Lee, Byung Suk; He, Zhen: Cost modeling of spatial operators using non-parametric regression (2007) ioport
- Viqueira, Jose R. Rios; Lorentzos, Nikos A.: SQL extension for spatio-temporal data (2007) ioport
- Cotelo Lema, Jose Antonio; Güting, Ralf Hartmut: Dual grid: A new approach for robust spatial algebra implementation (2002)
- Park, Youngchoon; Kim, Pankoo; Golshani, Forouzan; Panchanathan, Sethuraman: A logical framework for visual information modeling and management (2001)
- Segoufin, Luc; Vianu, Victor: Querying spatial databases via topological invariants (2000)
- Papadimitriou, C. H.; Suciu, D.; Vianu, V.: Topological queries in spatial databases (1999)
- Clementini, Eliseo; Di Felice, Paolino: A model for representing topological relationships between complex geometric features in spatial databases (1996)
- Egenhofer, M. J.: Spatial SQL: A Query and Presentation Language (1994) ioport