An open source, parallel DSMC code for rarefied gas flows in arbitrary geometries. This paper presents the results of validation of an open source Direct Simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) code for general application to rarefied gas flows. The new DSMC code, called dsmcFoam, has been written within the framework of the open source C++ CFD toolbox OpenFOAM. The main features of dsmcFoam code include the capability to perform both steady and transient solutions, to model arbitrary 2D/3D geometries, and unlimited parallel processing. Test cases have been selected to cover a wide range of benchmark examples from 1D to 3D. These include relaxation to equilibrium, 2D flow over a flat plate and a cylinder, and 3D supersonic flows over complex geometries. In all cases, dsmcFoam shows very good agreement with data provided by both analytical solutions and other contemporary DSMC codes.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Lei, Min; Wu, Xiaobin; Zhang, Wei; Li, Xiaoping; Chen, Xuedong: The implementation of subsonic boundary conditions for the direct simulation Monte Carlo method in dsmcFoam (2017)
- Palharini, Rodrigo C.; White, Craig; Scanlon, Thomas J.; Brown, Richard E.; Borg, Matthew K.; Reese, Jason M.: Benchmark numerical simulations of rarefied non-reacting gas flows using an open-source DSMC code (2015)
- Akhlaghi, Hassan; Roohi, Ehsan: Mass flow rate prediction of pressure-temperature-driven gas flows through micro/nanoscale channels (2014)
- Kim, Junghan; Iype, Eldhose; Frijns, Arjan J. H.; Nedea, Silvia V.; van Steenhoven, Anton A.: Development of EEM based silicon-water and silica-water wall potentials for non-reactive molecular dynamics simulations (2014)
- Patronis, Alexander; Lockerby, Duncan A.: Multiscale simulation of non-isothermal microchannel gas flows (2014)
- Rooholghdos, Seyed Ali; Roohi, Ehsan: Extension of a second order velocity slip/temperature jump boundary condition to simulate high speed micro/nanoflows (2014)
- Patronis, Alexander; Lockerby, Duncan A.; Borg, Matthew K.; Reese, Jason M.: Hybrid continuum-molecular modelling of multiscale internal gas flows (2013)
- White, Craig; Borg, Matthew K.; Scanlon, Thomas J.; Reese, Jason M.: A DSMC investigation of gas flows in micro-channels with bends (2013)
- Scanlon, T. J.; Roohi, E.; White, C.; Darbandi, M.; Reese, J. M.: An open source, parallel DSMC code for rarefied gas flows in arbitrary geometries (2010)