Improved linear differential attacks on CubeHash This paper presents improved collision attacks on round-reduced variants of the hash function CubeHash, one of the SHA-3 second round candidates. We apply two methods for finding linear differential trails that lead to lower estimated attack complexities when used within the framework introduced by Brier, Khazaei, Meier and Peyrin at ASIACRYPT 2009. The first method yields trails that are relatively dense at the beginning and sparse towards the end. In combination with the condition function concept, such trails lead to much faster collision attacks. We demonstrate this by providing a real collision for CubeHash-5/96. The second method randomizes the search for highly probable linear differential trails and leads to significantly better attacks for up to eight rounds.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 12 articles )
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12.
- Aumasson, Jean-Philippe; Henzen, Luca; Meier, Willi; Naya-Plasencia, María: Quark: a lightweight hash (2013)
- Lu, Yi; Vaudenay, Serge; Meier, Willi: Synthetic linear analysis with applications to CubeHash and Rabbit (2012)
- Lu, Yi; Vaudenay, Serge; Meier, Willi; Ding, Liping; Jiang, Jianchun: Synthetic linear analysis: improved attacks on CubeHash and Rabbit (2012)
- Ashur, Tomer; Dunkelman, Orr: Linear analysis of reduced-round CubeHash (2011)
- Hirose, Shoichi; Ideguchi, Kota; Kuwakado, Hidenori; Owada, Toru; Preneel, Bart; Yoshida, Hirotaka: A lightweight 256-bit hash function for hardware and low-end devices: Lesamnta-LW (2011)
- Kaps, Jens-Peter; Yalla, Panasayya; Surapathi, Kishore Kumar; Habib, Bilal; Vadlamudi, Susheel; Gurung, Smriti; Pham, John: Lightweight implementations of SHA-3 candidates on FPGAs (2011)
- Mouha, Nicky; Velichkov, Vesselin; De Cannière, Christophe; Preneel, Bart: The differential analysis of S-functions (2011)
- Velichkov, Vesselin; Mouha, Nicky; De Cannière, Christophe; Preneel, Bart: The additive differential probability of ARX (2011)
- Barreto, Paulo; Nikov, Ventzislav; Nikova, Svetla; Rijmen, Vincent; Tischhauser, Elmar: Whirlwind: a new cryptographic hash function (2010)
- Khazaei, Shahram; Knellwolf, Simon; Meier, Willi; Stefan, Deian: Improved linear differential attacks on CubeHash (2010)
- Aumasson, Jean-Philippe; Brier, Eric; Meier, Willi; Naya-Plasencia, María; Peyrin, Thomas: Inside the hypercube (2009)
- Brier, Eric; Khazaei, Shahram; Meier, Willi; Peyrin, Thomas: Linearization framework for collision attacks: application to CubeHash and MD6 (2009)