k-Wave: MATLAB toolbox for the simulation and reconstruction of photoacoustic wave fields A new, freely available third party MATLAB toolbox for the simulation and reconstruction of photoacoustic wave fields is described. The toolbox, named k-Wave, is designed to make realistic photoacoustic modeling simple and fast. The forward simulations are based on a k-space pseudo-spectral time domain solution to coupled first-order acoustic equations for homogeneous or heterogeneous media in one, two, and three dimensions. The simulation functions can additionally be used as a flexible time reversal image reconstruction algorithm for an arbitrarily shaped measurement surface. A one-step image reconstruction algorithm for a planar detector geometry based on the fast Fourier transform (FFT) is also included. The architecture and use of the toolbox are described, and several novel modeling examples are given. First, the use of data interpolation is shown to considerably improve time reversal reconstructions when the measurement surface has only a sparse array of detector points. Second, by comparison with one-step, FFT-based reconstruction, time reversal is shown to be sufficiently general that it can also be used for finite-sized planar measurement surfaces. Last, the optimization of computational speed is demonstrated through parallel execution using a graphics processing unit.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Arridge, Simon R.; Betcke, Marta M.; Cox, Ben T.; Lucka, Felix; Treeby, Brad E.: On the adjoint operator in photoacoustic tomography (2016)
- Belhachmi, Zakaria; Glatz, Thomas; Scherzer, Otmar: A direct method for photoacoustic tomography with inhomogeneous sound speed (2016)
- Li, Jing He; Liu, Qing Huo: Fast frequency-domain forward and inverse methods for acoustic scattering from inhomogeneous objects in layered media (2016)
- Glatz, Thomas; Scherzer, Otmar; Widlak, Thomas: Texture generation for photoacoustic elastography (2015)
- Sandbichler, M.; Krahmer, F.; Berer, T.; Burgholzer, P.; Haltmeier, M.: A novel compressed sensing scheme for photoacoustic tomography (2015)
- Treeby, Bradley E.; Zhang, Edward Z.; Cox, B.T.: Photoacoustic tomography in absorbing acoustic media using time reversal (2010)