Computing matrix representations. Let G be a finite group and χ a faithful irreducible character for G. Earlier papers by the first author describe techniques for computing a matrix representation for G which affords χ whenever the degree χ(1) is less than 32. In the present paper we introduce a new, fast method which can be applied in the important case where G is perfect and the socle soc(G/Z(G)) of G over its centre is Abelian. In particular, this enables us to extend the general construction of representations to all cases where χ(1)≤100. The improved algorithms have been implemented in the new version 3.0.1 of the GAP package REPSN by the first author.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Fischer, Maximilian; Ratz, Michael; Torrado, Jesús; Vaudrevange, Patrick K.S.: Classification of symmetric toroidal orbifolds (2013)
- Dabbaghian, Vahid; Dixon, John D.: Computing matrix representations. (2010)
- Dabbaghian-Abdoly, Vahid: Characters of some finite groups of Lie type with a restriction containing a linear character once. (2007)
- Dabbaghian-Abdoly, Vahid: Constructing representations of the finite symplectic group $\textSp(4,q)$. (2006)
- Dabbaghian-Abdoly, Vahid: An algorithm for constructing representations of finite groups. (2005)
- Beth, Thomas: On the computational complexity of the general discrete Fourier transform (1987)