EMAN: Semiautomated Software for High-Resolution Single-Particle Reconstructions. We present EMAN (Electron Micrograph ANalysis), a software package for performing semiautomated single-particle reconstructions from transmission electron micrographs. The goal of this project is to provide software capable of performing single-particle reconstructions beyond 10 Å as such high-resolution data become available. A complete single-particle reconstruction algorithm is implemented. Options are available to generate an initial model for particles with no symmetry, a single axis of rotational symmetry, or icosahedral symmetry. Model refinement is an iterative process, which utilizes classification by model-based projection matching. CTF (contrast transfer function) parameters are determined using a new paradigm in which data from multiple micrographs are fit simultaneously. Amplitude and phase CTF correction is then performed automatically as part of the refinement loop. A graphical user interface is provided, so even those with little image processing experience will be able to begin performing reconstructions. Advanced users can directly use the lower level shell commands and even expand the package utilizing EMAN’s extensive image-processing library. The package was written from scratch in C++ and is provided free of charge on our Web site. We present an overview of the package as well as several conformance tests with simulated data.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Barnett, Alex; Greengard, Leslie; Pataki, Andras; Spivak, Marina: Rapid solution of the cryo-EM reconstruction problem by frequency marching (2017)
- Carugo, Oliviero (ed.); Eisenhaber, Frank (ed.): Data mining techniques for the life sciences (2016)
- Byun, Eun-Kyu; Kee, Yang-Suk; Kim, Jin-Soo; Deelman, Ewa; Maeng, Seungryoul: BTS: Resource capacity estimate for time-targeted science workflows (2011) ioport
- Yu, Jia; Buyya, Rajkumar; Ramamohanarao, Kotagiri: Workflow scheduling algorithms for grid computing (2008)
- Ribeiro, Eraldo; Shah, Mubarak: Computer vision for nanoscale imaging (2006) ioport
- Sorzano, C.O.S.; Marabini, R.; Pascual-Montano, A.; Scheres, S.H.W.; Carazo, J.M.: Optimization problems in electron microscopy of single particles (2006)