MEGA: a biologist-centric software for evolutionary analysis of DNA and protein sequences. The Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software is a desktop application designed for comparative analysis of homologous gene sequences either from multigene families or from different species with a special emphasis on inferring evolutionary relationships and patterns of DNA and protein evolution. In addition to the tools for statistical analysis of data, MEGA provides many convenient facilities for the assembly of sequence data sets from files or web-based repositories, and it includes tools for visual presentation of the results obtained in the form of interactive phylogenetic trees and evolutionary distance matrices. Here we discuss the motivation, design principles and priorities that have shaped the development of MEGA. We also discuss how MEGA might evolve in the future to assist researchers in their growing need to analyze large data set using new computational methods.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Davidson, Ruth; Rusinko, Joseph; Vernon, Zoe; Xi, Jing: Modeling the distribution of distance data in Euclidean space (2017)
- Drellich, Elizabeth; Gainer-Dewar, Andrew; Harrington, Heather A.; He, Qijun; Heitsch, Christine; Poznanović, Svetlana: Geometric combinatorics and computational molecular biology: branching polytopes for RNA sequences (2017)
- RoyChoudhury, Arindam; Willis, Amy; Bunge, John: Consistency of a phylogenetic tree maximum likelihood estimator (2015)
- Song, Lei; Pan, Yuting; Chen, Sihong; Zhang, Xuehong: Structural characteristics of genomic islands associated with GMP synthases as integration hotspot among sequenced microbial genomes (2012)
- Blazewicz, Jacek; Formanowicz, Piotr; Kedziora, Pawel; Marciniak, Pawel; Taront, Przemyslaw: Adaptive memory programming: local search parallel algorithms for phylogenetic tree construction (2011)
- Yu, Chenglong; Deng, Mo; Yau, Stephen S.-T.: DNA sequence comparison by a novel probabilistic method (2011) ioport
- Coelho, Guilherme P.; da Silva, Ana Estela A.; Von Zuben, Fernando J.: An immune-inspired multi-objective approach to the reconstruction of phylogenetic trees (2010) ioport
- Sánchez, Robersy; Grau, Ricardo: An algebraic hypothesis about the primeval genetic code architecture (2009)
- Brocchieri, Luciano: Phylogenetic inferences from molecular sequences: Review and critique (2001)
- Kumar, Sudhir; Tamura, Koichiro; Nei, Masatoshi: MEGA: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis software for microcomputers. (1994) ioport
Further publications can be found at: http://www.megasoftware.net/citations