The effects of computer-assisted instruction on the achievement, attitudes and retention of fourth grade mathematics students in North Cyprus. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of the educational software Frizbi Mathematics 4 on 4th grade student’s mathematics achievement, retention, attitudes toward mathematics and attitude toward computer assisted learning. Two groups (experimental and control) of students from the state primary school in Gazimagusa, North Cyprus were used in this study. The control group was taught using a lecture-based traditional instruction and experimental group was taught using educational software, namely Frizbi Mathematics 4. The control group consisted of 26 students while the experimental group consisted of 29 students. The groups were compared on achievement of mathematics, retention, and attitude toward mathematics and computer assisted learning. The study included three units, Multiplication of Natural Numbers, Division of Natural Numbers, and Fractions. Scores on achievement tests were collected three times; at the beginning of the study, immediately after the intervention, and 4 months later. The mathematics attitude scale and computer assisted learning attitude scale were administrated only two times; at the beginning of the study and immediately after the completion of the study. A series of ANOVAs for repeated measures revealed significant difference between the groups on the post achievement tests and attitude scales in favor of experimental group. However, statistically significant differences in favor of the treatment group, on the retention tests were attained on the multiplication and division units but not on fractions. The evidence indicates that Frizbi Mathematics 4 for learning and teaching mathematics at the primary school level in North Cyprus is an effective tool.
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Faber, Janke M.; Luyten, Hans; Visscher, Adrie J.: The effects of a digital formative assessment tool on mathematics achievement and student motivation: results of a randomized experiment (2017) MathEduc
- Huang, Chester S. J.; Su, Addison Y. S.; Yang, Stephen J. H.; Liou, Hsin-Hun: A collaborative digital pen learning approach to improving students’ learning achievement and motivation in mathematics courses (2017) MathEduc
- Savelsbergh, Elwin R.; Prins, Gjalt T.; Rietbergen, Charlotte; Fechner, Sabine; Vaessen, Bram E.; Draijer, Jael M.; Bakker, Arthur: Effects of innovative science and mathematics teaching on student attitudes and achievement: a meta-analytic study (2016) MathEduc
- Sokolowski, Andrzej; Li, Yeping; Willson, Victor: The effects of using exploratory computerized environments in grades 1 to 8 mathematics: a meta-analysis of research (2015) MathEduc
- De Witte, Kristof; Rogge, Nicky: Does ICT matter for effectiveness and efficiency in mathematics education? (2014) MathEduc
- Pilli, Olga; Aksu, Meral: The effects of computer-assisted instruction on the achievement, attitudes and retention of fourth grade mathematics students in North Cyprus (2013) MathEduc