MaLARea: a Metasystem for Automated Reasoning in Large Theories. MaLARea (a Machine Learner for Automated Reasoning) is a simple metasystem iteratively combining deductive Automated Reasoning tools (now the E and the SPASS ATP systems) with a machine learning component (now the SNoW system used in the naive Bayesian learning mode). Its intended use is in large theories, i.e. on a large number of problems which in a consistent fashion use many axioms, lemmas, theorems, definitions and symbols. The system works in cycles of theorem proving followed by machine learning from successful proofs, using the learned information to prune the set of available axioms for the next theorem proving cycle. Although the metasystem is quite simple (ca. 1000 lines of Perl code), its design already now poses quite interesting questions about the nature of thinking, in particular, about how (and if and when) to combine learning from previous experience to attack difficult unsolved problems. The first version of MaLARea has been tested on the more difficult (chainy) division of the MPTP Challenge solving 142 problems out of 252, in comparison to E’s 89 and SPASS ’ 81 solved problems. It also outperforms the SRASS metasystem, which also uses E and SPASS as components, and solves 126 problems.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 50 articles )
Showing results 41 to 50 of 50.
- Pease, Adam; Sutcliffe, Geoff; Siegel, Nick; Trac, Steven: Large theory reasoning with SUMO at CASC (2010)
- Urban, Josef; Hoder, Krystof; Voronkov, Andrei: Evaluation of automated theorem proving on the Mizar mathematical library (2010)
- Urban, Josef; Sutcliffe, Geoff: Automated reasoning and presentation support for formalizing mathematics in MizAR (2010)
- Vyskočil, Jiří; Stanovský, David; Urban, Josef: Automated proof compression by invention of new definitions (2010)
- Höfner, Peter; Struth, Georg; Sutcliffe, Geoff: Automated verification of refinement laws (2009)
- Sutcliffe, Geoff: The TPTP problem library and associated infrastructure and associated infrastructure. The FOF and CNF parts, v3.5.0 (2009)
- Armando, Alessandro (ed.); Baumgartner, Peter (ed.); Dowek, Gilles (ed.): Automated reasoning. 4th international joint conference, IJCAR 2008, Sydney, Australia, August 12--15, 2008 Proceedings (2008)
- Urban, Josef; Sutcliffe, Geoff: ATP-based cross-verification of Mizar proofs: method, systems, and first experiments (2008)
- Urban, Josef; Sutcliffe, Geoff; Pudlák, Petr; Vyskočil, Jiří: MaLARea SG1 -- machine learner for automated reasoning with semantic guidance (2008)
- Urban, Josef; Sutcliffe, Geoff: ATP cross-verification of the Mizar MPTP challenge problems (2007)