SIMPL: A system for integrating optimization techniques. In recent years, the Constraint Programming (CP) and Operations Research (OR) communities have explored the advantages of combining CP and OR techniques to formulate and solve combinatorial optimization problems. These advantages include a more versatile modeling framework and the ability to combine complementary strengths of the two solution technologies. This research has reached a stage at which further development would benefit from a general-purpose modeling and solution system. We introduce here a system for integrated modeling and solution called SIMPL. Our approach is to view CP and OR techniques as special cases of a single method rather than as separate methods to be combined. This overarching method consists of an infer-relax-restrict cycle in which CP and OR techniques may interact at any stage. We describe the main features of SIMPL and illustrate its usage with examples.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 11 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11.
- Betz, Volker (ed.); Dirr, Nicolas (ed.); König, Wolfgang (ed.); Theil, Florian (ed.): Interplay of analysis and probability in applied mathematics. Abstracts from the workshop held February 11--17, 2018 (2018)
- Cancès, Eric (ed.); Friesecke, Gero (ed.); Helgaker, Trygve Ulf (ed.); Lin, Lin (ed.): Mathematical methods in quantum chemistry. Abstracts from the workshop held March 18--24, 2018 (2018)
- Hooker, J. N.; van Hoeve, W.-J.: Constraint programming and operations research (2018)
- Bajgiran, Omid Sanei; Cire, Andre A.; Rousseau, Louis-Martin: A first look at picking dual variables for maximizing reduced cost fixing (2017)
- Ciré, André; Coban, Elvin; Hooker, John N.: Mixed integer programming versus logic-based Benders decomposition for planning and scheduling (2013)
- Magos, D.; Mourtos, I.; Appa, G.: A polyhedral approach to the \textitalldifferentsystem (2012)
- Yunes, Tallys; Aron, Ionuţ D.; Hooker, J. N.: An integrated solver for optimization problems (2010)
- Achterberg, Tobias: SCIP: solving constraint integer programs (2009)
- Achterberg, Tobias; Berthold, Timo; Koch, Thorsten; Wolter, Kati: Constraint integer programming: A new approach to integrate CP and MIP (2008)
- Hooker, J. N.: A search-infer-and-relax framework for integrating solution methods (2005)
- Aron, Ionuţ; Hooker, John N.; Yunes, Tallys H.: SIMPL: A system for integrating optimization techniques (2004)