GePUP: generic projection and unconstrained PPE for fourth-order solutions of the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations with no-slip boundary conditions. A generic projection maps one vector to another such that their difference is a gradient field and the projected vector does not have to be solenoidal. Via a commutator of Laplacian and the generic projection, the projected velocity is formulated as the sole evolutionary variable with the incompressibility constraint enforced by a pressure Poisson equation so that the dissipation of velocity divergence is governed by a heat equation. Different from previous projection methods, the GePUP formulation treats the time integrator as a black box. This prominent advantage is illustrated by straightforward formations of a semi-implicit time-stepping scheme and another explicit time-stepping scheme. Apart from its stability, the GePUP schemes have an optimal efficiency in that within each time step the solution is advanced by solving a sequence of linear systems with geometric multigrid. A key component of the GePUP schemes is a fourth-order discrete projection for no-penetration domains. Results of numerical tests in two and three dimensions demonstrate that the GePUP schemes are fourth-order accurate both in time and in space. To facilitate efficiency comparison to other methods, a simple formula is introduced. Systematic arguments and timing results show that the GePUP schemes could be vastly superior over lower-order methods in terms of efficiency and accuracy. In some cases, the GePUP schemes running on the author’s personal desktop would be faster than a second-order method running on the fastest supercomputer in the world! This paper contains enough details so that one can reproduce the numerical results by following the exposition.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Rosales, Rodolfo Ruben; Seibold, Benjamin; Shirokoff, David; Zhou, Dong: High-order finite element methods for a pressure Poisson equation reformulation of the Navier-Stokes equations with electric boundary conditions (2021)
- Zhang, Qinghai; Li, Zhixuan: Boolean algebra of two-dimensional continua with arbitrarily complex topology (2020)
- Pei, Chaoxu; Vahab, Mehdi; Sussman, Mark; Hussaini, M. Yousuff: A hierarchical space-time spectral element and moment-of-fluid method for improved capturing of vortical structures in incompressible multi-phase/multi-material flows (2019)
- Zhang, Qinghai: Fourth- and higher-order interface tracking via mapping and adjusting regular semianalytic sets represented by cubic splines (2018)
- Lin, Zhi; Zhang, Qinghai: High-order finite-volume solutions of the steady-state advection-diffusion equation with nonlinear Robin boundary conditions (2017)
- Zhang, Qinghai: HFES: a height function method with explicit input and signed output for high-order estimations of curvature and unit vectors of planar curves (2017)
- Zhang, Qinghai: GePUP: generic projection and unconstrained PPE for fourth-order solutions of the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations with no-slip boundary conditions (2016)
- Zhang, Qinghai; Fogelson, Aaron: MARS: an analytic framework of interface tracking via mapping and adjusting regular semialgebraic sets (2016)