EMMIXcskew: an R Package for the Fitting of a Mixture of Canonical Fundamental Skew t-Distributions, This paper presents an R package EMMIXcskew for the fitting of the canonical fundamental skew t-distribution (CFUST) and finite mixtures of this distribution (FM-CFUST) via maximum likelihood (ML). The CFUST distribution provides a flexible family of models to handle non-normal data, with parameters for capturing skewness and heavy-tails in the data. It formally encompasses the normal, t, and skew-normal distributions as special and/or limiting cases. A few other versions of the skew t-distributions are also nested within the CFUST distribution. In this paper, an Expectation-Maximization (EM) algorithm is described for computing the ML estimates of the parameters of the FM-CFUST model, and different strategies for initializing the algorithm are discussed and illustrated. The methodology is implemented in the EMMIXcskew package, and examples are presented using two real datasets. The EMMIXcskew package contains functions to fit the FM-CFUST model, including procedures for generating different initial values. Additional features include random sample generation and contour visualization in 2D and 3D.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Azzalini, Adelchi: An overview on the progeny of the skew-normal family -- a personal perspective (2022)
- Lee, Sharon X.; McLachlan, Geoffrey J.: An overview of skew distributions in model-based clustering (2022)
- McLachlan, Geoffrey J.; Lee, Sharon X.: Flexible modelling via multivariate skew distributions (2019)
- Wallace, Meredith L.; Buysse, Daniel J.; Germain, Anne; Hall, Martica H.; Iyengar, Satish: Variable selection for skewed model-based clustering: application to the identification of novel sleep phenotypes (2018)
- McLachlan, Geoffrey J.; Lee, Sharon X.: Comment on “On nomenclature, and the relative merits of two formulations of skew distributions” by A. Azzalini, R. Browne, M. Genton, and P. McNicholas (2016)
- Sharon X. Lee, Geoffrey J. McLachlan: EMMIXcskew: an R Package for the Fitting of a Mixture of Canonical Fundamental Skew t-Distributions (2015) arXiv