StaRMAP—A second order staggered grid method for spherical harmonics moment equations of radiative transfer. We present a simple method to solve spherical harmonics moment systems, such as the the time-dependent PN and SPN equations, of radiative transfer. The method, which works for arbitrary moment order N, makes use of the specific coupling between the moments in the PN equations. This coupling naturally induces staggered grids in space and time, which in turn give rise to a canonical, second-order accurate finite difference scheme. While the scheme does not possess TVD or realizability limiters, its simplicity allows for a very efficient implementation in Matlab. We present several test cases, some of which demonstrate that the code solves problems with ten million degrees of freedom in space, angle, and time within a few seconds. The code for the numerical scheme, called StaRMAP (Staggered grid Radiation Moment Approximation), along with files for all presented test cases, can be downloaded so that all results can be reproduced by the reader.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 11 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11.
- Schneider, Florian; Leibner, Tobias: First-order continuous- and discontinuous-Galerkin moment models for a linear kinetic equation: model derivation and realizability theory (2020)
- Hauck, Cory; Heningburg, Vincent: Filtered discrete ordinates equations for radiative transport (2019)
- Laiu, M. Paul; Frank, Martin; Hauck, Cory D.: A positive asymptotic-preserving scheme for linear kinetic transport equations (2019)
- Egger, Herbert; Schlottbom, Matthias: A class of Galerkin schemes for time-dependent radiative transfer (2016)
- Frank, Martin; Hauck, Cory; Küpper, Kerstin: Convergence of filtered spherical harmonic equations for radiation transport (2016)
- Hermeline, F.: A discretization of the multigroup (P_N) radiative transfer equation on general meshes (2016)
- Küpper, Kerstin; Frank, Martin; Jin, Shi: An asymptotic preserving two-dimensional staggered grid method for multiscale transport equations (2016)
- Schneider, Florian: Kershaw closures for linear transport equations in slab geometry. I: Model derivation (2016)
- Schneider, Florian: Kershaw closures for linear transport equations in slab geometry. II: High-order realizability-preserving discontinuous-Galerkin schemes (2016)
- Seibold, Benjamin; Frank, Martin: StaRMAP -- a second order staggered grid method for spherical harmonics moment equations of radiative transfer (2014)
- Olbrant, E.; Larsen, E. W.; Frank, M.; Seibold, B.: Asymptotic derivation and numerical investigation of time-dependent simplified image equations (2013)