PartiSim: a multi-methodology framework to support facilitated simulation modelling in healthcare. Discrete event simulation (DES) studies in healthcare are thought to benefit from stakeholder participation during the study lifecycle. This paper reports on a multi-methodology framework, called PartiSim that is intended to support participative simulation studies. PartiSim combines DES, a traditionally hard OR approach, with soft systems methodology (SSM) in order to incorporate stakeholder involvement in the study lifecycle. The framework consists of a number of prescribed activities and outputs as part of the stages involved in the simulation lifecycle, which include study initiation, finding out about the problem, defining a conceptual model, model coding, experimentation and implementation. In PartiSim four of these stages involve facilitated workshops with a group of stakeholders. We explain the organisation of workshops, the key roles assigned to analysts and stakeholders, and how facilitation is embedded in the framework. We discuss our experience of using the framework, provide guidance on when to use it and conclude with future research directions.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Dyson, Robert G.; O’Brien, Frances A.; Shah, Devan B.: Soft OR and practice: the contribution of the founders of operations research (2021)
- Harper, Alison; Mustafee, Navonil; Yearworth, Mike: Facets of trust in simulation studies (2021)
- Tolk, Andreas; Harper, Alison; Mustafee, Navonil: Hybrid models as transdisciplinary research enablers (2021)
- Esposito Amideo, A.; Scaparra, M. P.; Kotiadis, K.: Optimising shelter location and evacuation routing operations: the critical issues (2019)
- Taylor, Simon J. E.: Distributed simulation: state-of-the-art and potential for operational research (2019)
- Willis, Graham; Cave, Siôn; Kunc, Martin: Strategic workforce planning in healthcare: a multi-methodology approach (2018)
- Proudlove, N. C.; Bisogno, S.; Onggo, B. S. S.; Calabrese, A.; Levialdi Ghiron, N.: Towards fully-facilitated discrete event simulation modelling: addressing the model coding stage (2017)
- Baril, Chantal; Gascon, Viviane; Miller, Jonathan; Côté, Nadine: Use of a discrete-event simulation in a Kaizen event: a case study in healthcare (2016)
- Henao, Felipe; Franco, L. Alberto: Unpacking multimethodology: impacts of a community development intervention (2016) ioport
- Tako, Antuela A.; Kotiadis, Kathy: PartiSim: a multi-methodology framework to support facilitated simulation modelling in healthcare (2015)