For several decades, free energy minimization methods have been the dominant strategy for single sequence RNA secondary structure prediction. More recently, stochastic context-free grammars (SCFGs) have emerged as an alternative probabilistic methodology for modeling RNA structure. Unlike physics-based methods, which rely on thousands of experimentally-measured thermodynamic parameters, SCFGs use fully-automated statistical learning algorithms to derive model parameters. Despite this advantage, however, probabilistic methods have not replaced free energy minimization methods as the tool of choice for secondarystructure prediction, as the accuracies of the best current SCFGs have yet to match those of the best physics-based models. CONTRAfold is a novel secondary structure prediction method based on conditional log-linear models (CLLMs), a flexible class of probabilistic models which generalize upon SCFGs by using discriminative training and feature-rich scoring. By incorporating most of the features found in typical thermodynamic models, CONTRAfold achieves the highest single sequence prediction accuracies to date, outperforming currently available probabilistic and physics-based techniques. Our result thus closes the gap between probabilistic and thermodynamic models, demonstrating that statistical learning procedures provide an effective alternative to empirical measurement of thermodynamic parameters for RNA secondary structure prediction.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Beal, Richard; Adjeroh, Donald: Efficient pattern matching for RNA secondary structures (2015)
- Picardi, Ernesto (ed.): RNA bioinformatics (2015)
- Backofen, Rolf; Landau, Gad M.; Möhl, Mathias; Tsur, Dekel; Weimann, Oren: Fast RNA structure alignment for crossing input structures (2011)
- Backofen, Rolf; Tsur, Dekel; Zakov, Shay; Ziv-Ukelson, Michal: Sparse RNA folding: time and space efficient algorithms (2011)
- Backofen, Rolf; Landau, Gad M.; Möhl, Mathias; Tsur, Dekel; Weimann, Oren: Fast RNA structure alignment for crossing input structures (2009)
- Edgar, Robert C.: Optimizing substitution matrix choice and gap parameters for sequence alignment (2009) ioport
- Fang, Xiao-Yong; Luo, Zhi-Gang; Wang, Zheng-Hua: Predicting RNA secondary structure using profile stochastic context-free grammars and phylogenic analysis (2008) ioport
- Machado-Lima, Ariane; del Portillo, Hernando A.; Durham, Alan Mitchell: Computational methods in noncoding RNA research (2008)