The DEDALE system for complex spatial queries. This paper presents DEDALE, a spatial database system intended to overcome some limitations of current systems by providing an abstract and non-specialized data model and query language for the representation and manipulation of spatial objects. DEDALE relies on a logical model based on linear constraints, which generalizes the constraint database model of [KKR90]. While in the classical constraint model, spatial data is always decomposed into its convex components, in DEDALE holes are allowed to fit the need of practical applications. The logical representation of spatial data although slightly more costly in memory, has the advantage of simplifying the algorithms. DEDALE relies on nested relations, in which all sorts of data (thematic, spatial, etc.) are stored in a uniform fashion. This new data model supports declarative query languages, which allow an intuitive and efficient manipulation of spatial objects. Their formal foundation constitutes a basis for practical query optimization. We describe several evaluation rules tailored for geometric data and give the specification of an optimizer module for spatial queries. Except for the latter module, the system has been fully implemented upon the O2 DBMS, thus proving the effectiveness of a constraint-based approach for the design of spatial database systems.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 10 articles )
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10.
- Revesz, Peter; Triplet, Thomas: Temporal data classification using linear classifiers (2011) ioport
- Carmona-Poyato, A.; Madrid-Cuevas, F. J.; Medina-Carnicer, R.; Muñoz-Salinas, R.: Polygonal approximation of digital planar curves through break point suppression (2010)
- Revesz, Peter: Introduction to databases. From biological to spatio-temporal (2010)
- Kuper, Gabriel M.; Su, Jianwen: A representation independent language for planar spatial databases with Euclidean distance (2007)
- Viqueira, Jose R. Rios; Lorentzos, Nikos A.: SQL extension for spatio-temporal data (2007) ioport
- Güting, Ralf Hartmut; de Almeida, Victor Teixeira; Ding, Zhiming: Modeling and querying moving objects in networks (2006) ioport
- Benedikt, Michael; Libkin, Leonid: Aggregate operators in constraint query languages (2002)
- Cosmadakis, S.; Kuper, G.; Libkin, L.: On the orthographic dimension of definable sets (2001)
- Park, D.-J.; Heu, S.; Kim, H.-J.: The RS-tree: An efficient data structure for distance browsing queries (2001)
- Vandeurzen, L.; Gyssens, M.; Van Gucht, D.: On the expressiveness of linear-constraint query languages for spatial databases (2001)