Quasi-static Free-Boundary Equilibrium of Toroidal Plasma with CEDRES++: Computational Methods and Applications. We present a comprehensive survey of the various computational methods in CEDRES++ for finding equilibria of toroidal plasma. Our focus is on free-boundary plasma equilib-ria, where either poloidal field coil currents or the temporal evolution of voltages in poloidal field circuit systems are given data. Centered around a piecewise linear finite element representation of the poloidal flux map, our approach allows in large parts the use of established numerical schemes. The coupling of a finite element method and a boundary element method gives consistent numerical solutions for equilibrium problems in unbounded domains. We formulate a new Newton method for the discretized non-linear problem to tackle the various non-linearities, including the free plasma boundary. The Newton method guarantees fast convergence and is the main building block for the inverse equilibrium problems that we can handle in CEDRES++ as well. The inverse problems aim at finding either poloidal field coil currents that ensure a desired shape and position of the plasma or at finding the evolution of the voltages in the poloidal field circuit systems that ensure a prescribed evolution of the plasma shape and position. We provide equilibrium simulations for the tokamaks ITER and WEST to illustrate the performance of CEDRES++ and its application areas.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 5 articles )
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5.
- Blum, Jacques; Heumann, Holger; Nardon, Eric; Song, Xiao: Automating the design of tokamak experiment scenarios (2019)
- Faugeras, Blaise; Heumann, Holger: FEM-BEM coupling methods for tokamak plasma axisymmetric free-boundary equilibrium computations in unbounded domains (2017)
- Heumann, Holger; Rapetti, Francesca: A finite element method with overlapping meshes for free-boundary axisymmetric plasma equilibria in realistic geometries (2017)
- Blommaert, Maarten; Heumann, Holger; Baelmans, Martine; Gauger, Nicolas R.; Reiter, Detlev: Towards automated magnetic divertor design for optimal heat exhaust (2016)
- Palha, A.; Koren, B.; Felici, F.: A mimetic spectral element solver for the Grad-Shafranov equation (2016)