Pegasus: a new hybrid-kinetic particle-in-cell code for astrophysical plasma dynamics. We describe Pegasus, a new hybrid-kinetic particle-in-cell code tailored for the study of astrophysical plasma dynamics. The code incorporates an energy-conserving particle integrator into a stable, second-order-accurate, three-stage predictor-predictor-corrector integration algorithm. The constrained transport method is used to enforce the divergence-free constraint on the magnetic field. A δf scheme is included to facilitate a reduced-noise study of systems in which only small departures from an initial distribution function are anticipated. The effects of rotation and shear are implemented through the shearing-sheet formalism with orbital advection. These algorithms are embedded within an architecture similar to that used in the popular astrophysical magnetohydrodynamics code Athena, one that is modular, well-documented, easy to use, and efficiently parallelized for use on thousands of processors. We present a series of tests in one, two, and three spatial dimensions that demonstrate the fidelity and versatility of the code.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Stanier, A.; Chacón, L.; Chen, G.: A fully implicit, conservative, non-linear, electromagnetic hybrid particle-ion/fluid-electron algorithm (2019)
- Juno, J.; Hakim, A.; TenBarge, J.; Shi, E.; Dorland, W.: Discontinuous Galerkin algorithms for fully kinetic plasmas (2018)
- Kawazura, Y.; Barnes, M.: A hybrid gyrokinetic ion and isothermal electron fluid code for astrophysical plasma (2018)
- Strumik, Marek; Stasiewicz, Krzysztof: Multidimensional Hall magnetohydrodynamics with isotropic or anisotropic thermal pressure: numerical scheme and its validation using solitary waves (2017)
- Wolf, Eric M.; Causley, Matthew; Christlieb, Andrew; Bettencourt, Matthew: A particle-in-cell method for the simulation of plasmas based on an unconditionally stable field solver (2016)
- Turkoz, Emre; Celik, Murat: AETHER: A simulation platform for inductively coupled plasma (2015)
- Kunz, Matthew W.; Stone, James M.; Bai, Xue-Ning: \textitPegasus: a new hybrid-kinetic particle-in-cell code for astrophysical plasma dynamics (2014)