A Nonlinear Harmonic Balance Solver for an Implicit CFD Code: OVERFLOW 2. A National Aeronautics and Space Administration computational fluid dynamics code, OVERFLOW 2, was modified to utilize a harmonic balance solution method. This modification allows for the direct calculation of the nonlinear frequency-domain solution of a periodic, unsteady flow while avoiding the time consuming calculation of long physical transients that arise in aeroelastic applications. With the usual implementation of this harmonic balance method, converting an implicit flow solver from a time marching solution method to a harmonic balance solution method results in an unstable numerical scheme. However, a relatively simple and computationally inexpensive stabilization technique has been developed and is utilized. With this stabilization technique, it is possible to convert an existing implicit time-domain solver to a nonlinear frequency-domain method with minimal modifications to the existing code. This new frequency-domain version of OVERFLOW 2 utilizes the many features of the original code, such as various discretization methods and several turbulence models. The use of Chimera overset grids in OVERFLOW 2 requires care when implemented in the frequency-domain. This research presents a harmonic balance version of OVERFLOW 2 that is capable of solving on overset grids for sufficiently small unsteady amplitudes.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 11 articles )
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11.
- Mittal, Ketan; Dutta, Som; Fischer, Paul: Nonconforming Schwarz-spectral element methods for incompressible flow (2019)
- Rumpfkeil, Markus P.: Using steady flow analysis for noise predictions (2017)
- Brehm, Christoph; Barad, Michael F.; Housman, Jeffrey A.; Kiris, Cetin C.: A comparison of higher-order finite-difference shock capturing schemes (2015)
- Galbraith, Marshall C.; Benek, John A.; Orkwis, Paul D.; Turner, Mark G.: A discontinuous Galerkin scheme for Chimera overset viscous meshes on curved geometries (2015)
- Hue, David; Péron, Stéphanie; Wiart, Ludovic; Atinault, Olivier; Gournay, Elie; Raud, Pascal; Benoit, Christophe; Mayeur, Julien: Validation of a near-body and off-body grid partitioning methodology for aircraft aerodynamic performance prediction (2015)
- Kitamura, Keiichi; Nonomura, Taku: Simple and robust HLLC extensions of two-fluid AUSM for multiphase flow computations (2014)
- Mosahebi, A.; Nadarajah, S.: An implicit and adaptive nonlinear frequency domain approach for periodic viscous flows (2014)
- Wang, Gaofeng; Duchaine, Florent; Papadogiannis, Dimitrios; Duran, Ignacio; Moreau, Stéphane; Gicquel, Laurent Y. M.: An overset grid method for large eddy simulation of turbomachinery stages (2014)
- Liggett, N. D.; Smith, M. J.: Temporal convergence criteria for time-accurate viscous simulations of separated flows (2012)
- Cheng, Gary C.; Venkatachari, Balaji Shankar; Chang, Chau-Lyan; Chang, Sin-Chung: Comparative study of different numerical approaches in space-time CESE framework for high-fidelity flow simulations (2011)
- Jin, Haoqiang; Jespersen, Dennis; Mehrotra, Piyush; Biswas, Rupak; Huang, Lei; Chapman, Barbara: High performance computing using MPI and OpenMP on multi-core parallel systems (2011) ioport