SING: Subgraph search In Non-homogeneous Graphs. Background: Finding the subgraphs of a graph database that are isomorphic to a given query graph has practical applications in several fields, from cheminformatics to image understanding. Since subgraph isomorphism is a computationally hard problem, indexing techniques have been intensively exploited to speed up the process. Such systems filter out those graphs which cannot contain the query, and apply a subgraph isomorphism algorithm to each residual candidate graph. The applicability of such systems is limited to databases of small graphs, because their filtering power degrades on large graphs. Results: In this paper, SING (Subgraph search In Non-homogeneous Graphs), a novel indexing system able to cope with large graphs, is presented. The method uses the notion of feature, which can be a small subgraph, subtree or path. Each graph in the database is annotated with the set of all its features. The key point is to make use of feature locality information. This idea is used to both improve the filtering performance and speed up the subgraph isomorphism task. Conclusions Extensive tests on chemical compounds, biological networks and synthetic graphs show that the proposed system outperforms the most popular systems in query time over databases of medium and large graphs. Other specific tests show that the proposed system is effective for single large graphs.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 5 articles )
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5.
- Ravkic, Irma; Žnidaršič, Martin; Ramon, Jan; Davis, Jesse: Graph sampling with applications to estimating the number of pattern embeddings and the parameters of a statistical relational model (2018)
- Pal, Dipali; Rao, Praveen; Slavov, Vasil; Katib, Anas: Fast processing of graph queries on a large database of small and medium-sized data graphs (2016)
- Puleo, Gregory J.; Milenkovic, Olgica: Correlation clustering with constrained cluster sizes and extended weights bounds (2015)
- Zheng, Weiguo; Zou, Lei; Lian, Xiang; Zhang, Huaming; Wang, Wei; Zhao, Dongyan: SQBC: an efficient subgraph matching method over large and dense graphs (2014)
- Di Natale, Raffaele; Ferro, Alfredo; Giugno, Rosalba; Mongiovì, Misael; Pulvirenti, Alfredo; Shasha, Dennis: SING: subgraph search in non-homogeneous graphs (2010) ioport