ForestClaw: A parallel algorithm for patch-based adaptive mesh refinement on a forest of quadtrees. We describe a parallel, adaptive, multi-block algorithm for explicit integration of time dependent partial differential equations on two-dimensional Cartesian grids. The grid layout we consider consists of a nested hierarchy of fixed size, non-overlapping, logically Cartesian grids stored as leaves in a quadtree. Dynamic grid refinement and parallel partitioning of the grids is done through the use of the highly scalable quadtree/octree library p4est. Because our concept is multi-block, we are able to easily solve on a variety of geometries including the cubed sphere. In this paper, we pay special attention to providing details of the parallel ghost-filling algorithm needed to ensure that both corner and edge ghost regions around each grid hold valid values. We have implemented this algorithm in the ForestClaw code using single-grid solvers from ClawPack, a software package for solving hyperbolic PDEs using finite volumes methods. We show weak and strong scalability results for scalar advection problems on two-dimensional manifold domains on 1 to 64Ki MPI processes, demonstrating neglible regridding overhead.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Schmidmayer, Kevin; Petitpas, Fabien; Daniel, Eric: Adaptive mesh refinement algorithm based on dual trees for cells and faces for multiphase compressible flows (2019)
- Schornbaum, Florian; Rüde, Ulrich: Extreme-scale block-structured adaptive mesh refinement (2018)
- Burstedde, Carsten; Holke, Johannes: Coarse mesh partitioning for tree-based AMR (2017)
- Donna Calhoun, Carsten Burstedde: ForestClaw: A parallel algorithm for patch-based adaptive mesh refinement on a forest of quadtrees (2017) arXiv
- Meister, Oliver; Rahnema, Kaveh; Bader, Michael: Parallel memory-efficient adaptive mesh refinement on structured triangular meshes with billions of grid cells (2017)
- Buchmüller, Pawel; Dreher, Jürgen; Helzel, Christiane: Finite volume WENO methods for hyperbolic conservation laws on Cartesian grids with adaptive mesh refinement (2016)
- Schornbaum, Florian; Rüde, Ulrich: Massively parallel algorithms for the lattice Boltzmann method on nonuniform grids (2016)