GIDEON: a genetic algorithm system for vehicle routing with time windows. Addresses the vehicle routing problem with time windows (VRPTW). The VRPTW involves routing a fleet of vehicles, of limited capacity and travel time, from a central depot to a set of geographically dispersed customers with known demands within specified time windows. The authors describe GIDEON, a genetic algorithm system to heuristically solve the VRPTW. GIDEON consists of two distinct modules: a global clustering module that assigns customers to vehicles by a process called genetic sectoring (GENSECT) and a local route optimization module (SWITCH-OPT). On a standard set of 56 VRPTW problems obtained from the literature, GIDEON did better than the alternate methods on 41 of them, with an average reduction of 3.9% in fleet size and 4.4% in distance traveled for the 56 problems. GIDEON took an average of 127 CPU seconds to solve a problem on the Solbourne 5/802 computer.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 11 articles )
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11.
- Li, Jiao-Yan; Hu, Xiao; Wan, Zhong: An integrated bi-objective optimization model and improved genetic algorithm for vehicle routing problems with temporal and spatial constraints (2020)
- Balseiro, S. R.; Loiseau, I.; Ramonet, J.: An Ant Colony algorithm hybridized with insertion heuristics for the Time Dependent Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (2011)
- Homberger, Jörg; Gehring, Hermann: A two-phase hybrid metaheuristic for the vehicle routing problem with time windows (2005)
- Baker, Barrie M.; Ayechew, M. A.: A genetic algorithm for the vehicle routing problem (2003)
- Taillard, Éric D.; Gambardella, Luca M.; Gendreau, Michel; Potvin, Jean-Yves: Adaptive memory programming: a unified view of metaheuristics (2001)
- Hertz, Alain; Kobler, Daniel: A framework for the description of evolutionary algorithms (2000)
- Chiang, Wen-Chyuan; Russell, Robert A.: Simulated annealing metaheuristics for the vehicle routing problem with time windows (1996)
- Osman, Ibrahim H.; Laporte, Gilbert: Metaheuristics: A bibliography (1996)
- Potvin, Jean-Yves: Genetic algorithms for the traveling salesman problem (1996)
- Thangiah, Sam R.; Potvin, Jean-Yves; Sun, Tong: Heuristic approaches to vehicle routing with backhauls and time windows (1996)
- Laporte, Gilbert; Osman, Ibrahim H.: Routing problems: A bibliography (1995)