BOOSTERS: A derivative-free algorithm based on radial basis functions. Derivative-free optimization (DFO) involves the methods used to minimize an expensive objective function when its derivatives are not available. We present here a trust-region algorithm based on Radial Basis Functions (RBFs). The main originality of our approach is the use of RBFs to build the trust-region models and our management of the interpolation points based on Newton fundamental polynomials. Moreover the complexity of our method is very attractive. We have tested the algorithm against the best state-of-the-art methods (UOBYQA, NEWUOA, DFO). The tests on the problems from the CUTEr collection show that BOOSTERS is performing very well on medium-size problems. Moreover, it is able to solve problems of dimension 200, which is considered very large in DFO.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 12 articles )
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12.
- Hare, Warren: A discussion on variational analysis in derivative-free optimization (2020)
- Audet, Charles; Côté-Massicotte, Julien: Dynamic improvements of static surrogates in direct search optimization (2019)
- Cartis, Coralia; Roberts, Lindon: A derivative-free Gauss-Newton method (2019)
- Larson, Jeffrey; Menickelly, Matt; Wild, Stefan M.: Derivative-free optimization methods (2019)
- Zhou, Zhe; Bai, Fu-Sheng: A stochastic adaptive radial basis function algorithm for costly black-box optimization (2018)
- C. Cartis; L. Roberts: A Derivative-Free Gauss-Newton Method (2017) arXiv
- Regis, Rommel G.; Wild, Stefan M.: CONORBIT: constrained optimization by radial basis function interpolation in trust regions (2017)
- Yuan, Ya-xiang: Recent advances in trust region algorithms (2015)
- Zhang, Zaikun: Sobolev seminorm of quadratic functions with applications to derivative-free optimization (2014)
- Regis, Rommel G.; Shoemaker, Christine A.: A quasi-multistart framework for global optimization of expensive functions using response surface models (2013)
- Le Thi, H. A.; Vaz, A. I. F.; Vicente, L. N.: Optimizing radial basis functions by d.c. programming and its use in direct search for global derivative-free optimization (2012)
- Conn, A. R.; Scheinberg, K.; Vicente, Luís N.: Geometry of interpolation sets in derivative free optimization (2008)