CTex -- an adaptive unsupervised segmentation algorithm based on color-texture coherence. This paper presents the development of an unsupervised image segmentation framework (referred to as CTex) that is based on the adaptive inclusion of color and texture in the process of data partition. An important contribution of this work consists of a new formulation for the extraction of color features that evaluates the input image in a multispace color representation. To achieve this, we have used the opponent characteristics of the RGB and YIQ color spaces where the key component was the inclusion of the self organizing map (SOM) network in the computation of the dominant colors and estimation of the optimal number of clusters in the image. The texture features are computed using a multichannel texture decomposition scheme based on Gabor filtering. The major contribution of this work resides in the adaptive integration of the color and texture features in a compound mathematical descriptor with the aim of identifying the homogenous regions in the image. This integration is performed by a novel adaptive clustering algorithm that enforces the spatial continuity during the data assignment process. A comprehensive qualitative and quantitative performance evaluation has been carried out and the experimental results indicate that the proposed technique is accurate in capturing the color and texture characteristics when applied to complex natural images.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Mignotte, Max: A non-stationary MRF model for image segmentation from a soft boundary map (2014) ioport
- Dong, Wei-Ming; Bao, Guan-Bo; Zhang, Xiao-Peng; Paul, Jean-Claude: Fast multi-operator image resizing and evaluation (2012) ioport
- Hsin, Hsi-Chin; Sung, Tze-Yun; Shieh, Yaw-Shih; Cattani, Carlo: Adaptive binary arithmetic coder-based image feature and segmentation in the compressed domain (2012)
- Juang, Ying-Shen; Hsin, Hsi-Chin; Sung, Tze-Yun; Shieh, Yaw-Shih; Cattani, Carlo: A rate-distortion-based merging algorithm for compressed image segmentation (2012)
- Chi, Dongxiang: Self-organizing map-based color image segmentation with (k)-means clustering and saliency map (2011) ioport
- Ilea, Dana E.; Whelan, Paul F.: Image segmentation based on the integration of colour-texture descriptors -- a review (2011)
- Qazi, Imtnan-Ul-Haque; Alata, Olivier; Burie, Jean-Christophe; Moussa, Ahmed; Fernandez-Maloigne, Christine: Choice of a pertinent color space for color texture characterization using parametric spectral analysis (2011)
- Ghita, Ovidiu; Whelan, Paul F.: A new GVF-based image enhancement formulation for use in the presence of mixed noise (2010)
- Ilea, Dana E.; Whelan, Paul F.: CTex -- an adaptive unsupervised segmentation algorithm based on color-texture coherence (2008)