Predicate logic as a modeling language: modeling and solving some machine learning and data mining problems with IDP3. This paper provides a gentle introduction to problem-solving with the IDP3 system. The core of IDP3 is a finite model generator that supports first-order logic enriched with types, inductive definitions, aggregates and partial functions. It offers its users a modeling language that is a slight extension of predicate logic and allows them to solve a wide range of search problems. Apart from a small introductory example, applications are selected from problems that arose within machine learning and data mining research. These research areas have recently shown a strong interest in declarative modeling and constraint-solving as opposed to algorithmic approaches. The paper illustrates that the IDP3 system can be a valuable tool for researchers with such an interest. The first problem is in the domain of stemmatology, a domain of philology concerned with the relationship between surviving variant versions of text. The second problem is about a somewhat related problem within biology where phylogenetic trees are used to represent the evolution of species. The third and final problem concerns the classical problem of learning a minimal automaton consistent with a given set of strings. For this last problem, we show that the performance of our solution comes very close to that of the state-of-the art solution. For each of these applications, we analyze the problem, illustrate the development of a logic-based model and explore how alternatives can affect the performance.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Calimeri, Francesco; Dodaro, Carmine; Fuscà, Davide; Perri, Simona; Zangari, Jessica: Technical note. Efficiently coupling the (\mathscrI)-DLV grounder with ASP solvers (2020)
- Gebser, Martin; Maratea, Marco; Ricca, Francesco: The Seventh Answer Set Programming Competition: design and results (2020)
- van der Hallen, Matthias; Paramonov, Sergey; Janssens, Gerda; Denecker, Marc: Knowledge representation analysis of graph mining (2019)
- Alviano, Mario; Dodaro, Carmine; Maratea, Marco: Shared aggregate sets in answer set programming (2018)
- Van Hertum, Pieter; Dasseville, Ingmar; Janssens, Gerda; Denecker, Marc: The KB paradigm and its application to interactive configuration (2017)
- Verwer, Sicco; Zhang, Yingqian: Learning decision trees with flexible constraints and objectives using integer optimization (2017)
- Bogaerts, Bart; Janhunen, Tomi; Tasharrofi, Shahab: Stable-unstable semantics: beyond NP with normal logic programs (2016)
- Blockeel, Hendrik: Data mining: from procedural to declarative approaches (2015) ioport
- Bruynooghe, Maurice; Blockeel, Hendrik; Bogaerts, Bart; De Cat, Broes; De Pooter, Stef; Jansen, Joachim; Labarre, Anthony; Ramon, Jan; Denecker, Marc; Verwer, Sicco: Predicate logic as a modeling language: modeling and solving some machine learning and data mining problems with IDP3 (2015)