SpectralPlasmaSolver: a Spectral Code for Multiscale Simulations of Collisionless, Magnetized Plasmas. We present the design and implementation of a spectral code, called SpectralPlasmaSolver (SPS), for the solution of the multi-dimensional Vlasov-Maxwell equations. The method is based on a Hermite-Fourier decomposition of the particle distribution function. The code is written in Fortran and uses the PETSc library for solving the non-linear equations and preconditioning and the FFTW library for the convolutions. SPS is parallelized for shared- memory machines using OpenMP. As a verification example, we discuss simulations of the two-dimensional Orszag-Tang vortex problem and successfully compare them against a fully kinetic Particle-In-Cell simulation. An assessment of the performance of the code is presented, showing a significant improvement in the code running-time achieved by preconditioning, while strong scaling tests show a factor of 10 speed-up using 16 threads.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Fatone, L.; Funaro, D.; Manzini, G.: Arbitrary-order time-accurate semi-Lagrangian spectral approximations of the Vlasov-Poisson system (2019)
- Fatone, Lorella; Funaro, Daniele; Manzini, Gianmarco: A semi-Lagrangian spectral method for the Vlasov-Poisson system based on Fourier, Legendre and Hermite polynomials (2019)
- Juno, J.; Hakim, A.; TenBarge, J.; Shi, E.; Dorland, W.: Discontinuous Galerkin algorithms for fully kinetic plasmas (2018)
- Manzini, G.; Funaro, D.; Delzanno, G. L.: Convergence of spectral discretizations of the Vlasov-Poisson system (2017)
- Meierbachtol, Collin S.; Svyatskiy, Daniil; Delzanno, Gian Luca; Vernon, Louis J.; Moulton, J. David: An electrostatic particle-in-cell code on multi-block structured meshes (2017)
- Manzini, G.; Delzanno, G. L.; Vencels, J.; Markidis, S.: A Legendre-Fourier spectral method with exact conservation laws for the Vlasov-Poisson system (2016)