An efficient hybrid algorithm for the separable convex quadratic knapsack problem. This article considers the problem of minimizing a convex, separable quadratic function subject to a knapsack constraint and a box constraint. An algorithm called NAPHEAP has been developed to solve this problem. The algorithm solves the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker system using a starting guess to the optimal Lagrange multiplier and updating the guess monotonically in the direction of the solution. The starting guess is computed using the variable fixing method or is supplied by the user. A key innovation in our algorithm is the implementation of a heap data structure for storing the break points of the dual function and computing the solution of the dual problem. Also, a new version of the variable fixing algorithm is developed that is convergent even when the objective Hessian is not strictly positive definite. The hybrid algorithm NAPHEAP that uses a Newton-type method (variable fixing method, secant method, or Newton’s method) to bracket a root, followed by a heap-based monotone break point search, can be faster than a Newton-type method by itself, as demonstrated in the numerical experiments.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Sun, Hsin-Min; Sheu, Ruey-Lin: Minimum variance allocation among constrained intervals (2019)
- Hager, William W.; Hungerford, James T.; Safro, Ilya: A multilevel bilinear programming algorithm for the vertex separator problem (2018)
- Liu, Meijiao; Liu, Yong-Jin: Fast algorithm for singly linearly constrained quadratic programs with box-like constraints (2017)
- Davis, Timothy A.; Hager, William W.; Hungerford, James T.: An efficient hybrid algorithm for the separable convex quadratic knapsack problem (2016)
- Hager, William W.; Zhang, Hongchao: Projection onto a polyhedron that exploits sparsity (2016)
- Patriksson, Michael; Strömberg, Christoffer: Algorithms for the continuous nonlinear resource allocation problem -- new implementations and numerical studies (2015)
- Cominetti, Roberto; Mascarenhas, Walter F.; Silva, Paulo J. S.: A Newton’s method for the continuous quadratic knapsack problem (2014)
- Wright, Stephen E.; Rohal, James J.: Solving the continuous nonlinear resource allocation problem with an interior point method (2014)